By Eric Chetkauskas / February 22nd, 2015
It seems it’s tough to escape the Winter weather these days. Over the past few weeks, the northeastern United States has gotten approximately a bazillion inches of snow, and eastern Canada hasn’t fared much better. More recently, the deep freeze has hit the mid-west and stretched down into many southern states, covering those areas with snow as well.
With the arctic descended upon us, this week would be a good time for the Retro Wrap-Up to examine games that give us that icy, snowy chill. It’s pretty standard fare for games to have an ice level. There’s world 4 of Super Mario Bros. 2, Gorilla Glacier in Donkey Kong Country, the skiing mini-game in Twilight Princess, the snowboarding mini-game in Final Fantasy VII, and various Mario Kart tracks, to name just a few. However, with this deep freeze we’re all feeling, it’s not enough to have just a single level filled with ice and snow. Therefore, the oprainfall Retro Commercial Research Team–in other words, me–dug deep to find TV moments from games that are entirely Winter-based. Games like this generally aren’t popular enough to get advertised on the small screen, so we have to reach to the international market for some of these.
All I know is, if the eight-foot high mound of snow in my yard gets any bigger, I’m gonna hollow it out and build a fort inside of it. Actually, that sounds fun, I might do that anyway.
Here are the highlights from the past week:
REVIEWS & PREVIEWS:
- Moon Chronicles – Season 1 | Josh Speer
- Hand of Fate | Steve Baltimore
- TRI: Of Friendship and Madness | Matt Welwood
- Morningstar: Descent to Deadrock | Michael Fontanini
- RE-REVIEW: Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (Steam) | Steve Baltimore
- Anime Review: Wolf Girl and Black Prince | Andrew Gallagher
- Anime Review: Himegoto | Andrew Gallagher
- IMPRESSIONS: Woolfe – The Red Hood Diaries | Phil Schipper
- IMPRESSIONS: Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls | Karli Winata
- Gaming Crossroads: Becoming A Goodwill Pro | Jacob Dobbs
- There is a Nicolas Cage Dating Sim
- J-Stars Victory VS+ Western Release to Keep Character Roster
- Amiibo, New 3DS XL Shortage Linked to Port Strikes
- New amiibo Info- Cards, Gold Mario spotted, and NES Demos
- SEGA Registers Trademark for Shining Seed
- Aksys 10th Anniversary Sale on PSN
- Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls Announced
- Rodea the Sky Soldier Headed West this Fall
- Sony Confirms The Last Guardian is Still in Development
- Bandai Namco to Unveil Something in Seven Days
- Compile Heart Releases a Puzzling Teaser
NIS America held a press event this week and oprainfall was in attendance. Azario and Karli from the Total Control Podcast got a chance to check out the goings on and even recorded a special episode from the event, which includes an interview with Danganronpa director, Yoshinori Terasawa.
Be sure to check out our Operation Recap on our YouTube channel for an alternate take on this week’s news.
If you have any ideas or suggestions for retro commercials, let us know either through Facebook, Twitter, or just leave a good old-fashioned comment below.
Operation Rainfalloprainfallretro wrap-up