By Eric Chetkauskas / March 1st, 2015
There were quite a few things that could’ve been talked about this week. The Nintendo 3DS celebrated its 4th anniversary, a localization of Dragon Quest Heroes was announced and the Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Land games are back on the Virtual Console. However, come Friday, none of that seemed to matter as word trickled through the various nerd fandoms that the actor who gave life to Star Trek’s Spock, Leonard Nimoy, had passed away.
Nimoy’s portrayal of Spock affected not only the original Star Trek series, but helped build a foundation for the franchise, and shaped geek culture as a whole. Anything he was a part of, whether it was his cameos on The Simpsons and Futurama, or recurring roles on Mission: Impossible and Fringe, instantly became credible, not just because he was known as Spock, but because he was that good of an actor. And by all accounts, he was that much better of a person, fighting for equal pay on the set of Star Trek, publishing photography books promoting positive body images, and, after being diagnosed with chronic obstructive pulmonary disease in February 2014, he spent much of his final year warning others of the dangers of smoking. Hollywood, and all of society, is worse off without him.
In memory of the late acting legend, this week the oprainfall Retro Commercial Research Team–in other words, me–celebrates the life and career of Leonard Nimoy. May his legacy live long and prosper.
Here are the highlights from the past week.
- Hot Tin Roof: The Cat That Wore A Fedora | Matt Welwood
- htoL#NiQ: The Firefly Diary | Azario Lopez
- Slinki | Phil Schipper
- Paperbound | Angela Hinck
- Aaru’s Awakening | Phil Schipper
- Sneaky Sneaky | Jeff Neuenschwander
- Hyperdevotion Noire: Goddess Black Heart | Steve Baltimore
- Shulk Amiibo | Justin Guillou
- RETRO REVIEW: Shadow Hearts | Adam Reese
- IMPRESSIONS: Adventures of Pip – Post-PAX South | Tyler Lubben
- READERS VOTE: Game of the Month – January 2015
- UPDATE: Mystic Quest HD Remake Appears to be Scam
- Hyrule Warriors: Boss Pack DLC Adds New Hidden Character [SPOILER]
- Three Amiibo Figures Receive a Price Drop to $9.99
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D Missing Japanese Dub
- Happy Birthday Vita Sale on PSN
- Xenoblade Chronicles New 3DS Faceplates Confirmed For Europe
- Donkey Kong Country TV Series to be Released on DVD
- Dragon Quest Heroes Heading West for PS4
- New Xenoblade X Footage, Highlighting The Different Time & Weather
- Eon Ticket Serial Code to be Distributed on Pokemon Website
And speaking of our YouTube channel, we’ve got a new video series (tentatively?) called YOLO: One Life Gaming, where one of our intrepid contributors plays a game and sees how far they can get with only one life. So far, there are three episodes up. Head on over to watch Chris tackle Altered Beast and Wizards & Warriors, while Jacob tries his hand at U.N. Squadron. Check them out and let us know what you think.
Kingdom Hearts Birth by SleepLeonard Nimoyretro wrap-upStar Trek