By Josh Speer / March 20th, 2020
Why is it always the most interesting games that somehow pass us by? I clearly remember when I first saw Treachery in Beatdown City, a couple years ago at the MIX in E3. I had been playing games for hours and was way past out of steam, and just as I was leaving I saw the demo for Treachery. Much as I was fascinated by this tactical RPG take on games like River City Ransom, I just couldn’t stay upright any longer. But I was still interested, and kept the game on my radar. Developed as a passion project, it is releasing as a series of episodes, with the very first one coming to PC and Nintendo Switch March 31st!
If nothing else, Treachery in Beatdown City looks like a creative mix of various genres, and I know I’m excited to finally try it out. If you love retro and indie, you should probably put it on your radar. To see more details about the upcoming first episode, read the full press release below. And be sure check out the amazing trailer as well!
TREACHERY IN BEATDOWN CITY LAUNCHES ON PC AND NINTENDO SWITCH ON MARCH 31th!
Episode One of Nuchallenger’s Retro-Inspired Tactical Brawler Releases This Month
March 19, 2020 — Prepare to hit the mean streets of East Fulton! Nuchallenger announces that its highly-anticipated tactical street brawler Treachery in Beatdown City will release its first episode on PC and the Nintendo Switch on March 31th. Players will battle it out over five dense urban maps spanning the diverse sites and off-beat people of East Fulton in their quest to rescue kidnapped President Blake Orama. Featuring music from Chiptunes legend Inverse Phase and a innovative tactical battle system that allows players to strategically create and execute customized combos, Treachery in Beatdown City provides a unique mashup of strategic combat, comedic modern day political satire and classic 80s arcade goodness.
When US President Blake Orama is kidnapped by Ninja Dragon Terrorists, it’s up to three street warriors, police cadet Lisa Santiago, retired pro-wrestler Brad Steele and martial arts master Bruce Maxwell to take to the streets to battle through the ridiculous chaos (and annoying urbanites) of East Fulton to ultimately save the day. Each warrior has their own unique fighting style which players will further customize with an all new battle system combining the best parts of beat ‘em ups, fighting games, turn based tactics and RPGS!
A list of features include:
- Switch between 3 fighters in between fights – Lisa Santiago, an MMA fighter and Boxer, Bruce Maxwell, a Jeet Kune Do/Capoeira specialist, and a Brad “The Bull Killer” Steele, a former professional wrestler.
- Choose from dozens of attacks to create long chains of strike combos, grapple combos, and strikeagrapple-ombos!
- Use a mix of real time and tactical COMBO MENU based attacks to tackle your foes!
- Fight over 40 class based enemies, each with a health based behavior system built to change up attacks and keep players on their toes!
- Music by Inverse Phase, creator of such albums as Pretty Eight Machine and the Chipping of Isaac
- Take in the sites of East Holden with 5 unique maps that take you through a lovingly crafted city complete with rivers, Chinatown, and of course, City Hall
- Learn about your heroes and enemies through comedic cutscenes filled with political satire, microaggressions (made famous in Get Out), and Ren and Stimpy inspired cutscene art
March 31stNuchallengerPCRivery City RansomSwitchTreachery in Beatdown City