By Josh Speer / February 20th, 2020
I admit to not being overly familiar with UK based publisher Sold Out, though I do know one game they’ve worked on, No Straight Roads. Since that game was so distinct and creative, I figured we should cover some other upcoming titles they’re publishing. Keep in mind I have no previous experience with any of these, I’m just passing the word along from some press kits. All three will also be available to demo at PAX East. I’ll mention the games below in alphabetical order, for clarity.
First up from Sold Out is Disjunction, a stealth action RPG developed by Ape Tribe Games. It’s slated to release on PC, Switch, PS4 and Xbox One this summer, though you can wishlist it now on Steam.
Set in the dystopian underworld of a near-futuristic New York City, Disjunction is a single-player, cyberpunk, stealth-action RPG that follows the intertwined narratives of three characters as they unravel a mystery that will change the fate of their city.
A classic RPG featuring hardcore stealth-action mechanics and a reactive story where your choices have real consequences, Disjunction gives players the freedom to take the gameplay approach that suits their playstyle: blasting through levels in brutal fast-paced combat, or sneaking around encounters to avoid confrontation.
- Challenging stealth-action gameplay that lets you play the way that suits your style, whether it’s sneaking through levels or attacking head-on.
- 30+ handcrafted non-linear levels.
- 3 playable characters, each with individual abilities, cybernetic upgrades and talents to customise your playstyle.
- A reactive story where the player’s choices have real consequences.
- Stylized pixel art environments and characters.
- Atmospheric musical score by composer Dan Farley.
Second up from Sold Out is Gestalt: Steam & Cinder. It’s a steampunk action game with platforming, unique combat and a diverse cast of characters. It’s slated to release on PC, Switch, PS4 and Xbox One later this year.
Inspired by 16 and 32-bit classics, Gestalt: Steam & Cinder (previously titled Gestalt: Vanguard) fuses tight 2D platforming and exhilarating combat with an engrossing, twist-laden narrative in a stunningly handcrafted steampunk world.
Join Aletheia and a vibrant cast of characters as they find themselves embroiled in a race to discover the secrets of the massive, steam-powered city of Canaan, the last bastion of mankind. Unravel centuries-old conspiracies, battle hosts of monstrous automata and thwart the twisted schemes of the city’s corrupt overseers, the Comitium, as you fight for mankind’s survival and discover the dark truth of the Steam City’s origin.
- Nuanced Combat System – Unleash Aletheia’s inner power, grow stronger, and engage in deep and varied combat, mastering a vast range of melee combos and ranged revolver attacks in uncompromising action.
- Riveting Narrative – Encounter a vibrant cast of characters and explore Canaan’s districts in an intertwining narrative filled with conspiracy-laden intrigue, NPCs, optional side quests, and choice-driven dialogue.
- Mesmerizing Art – Traverse a vast and stunningly handcrafted steampunk world, from the thriving city streets of Irkalla to the sprawling Scrap Sea, all embellished with spectacular animations and gorgeous backdrops.
- Grow Your Skills – Gain experience and craft new abilities to tap into the mysterious power dwelling within Aletheia as you discover new areas, smash through secret paths and take on the Steam City’s toughest enemies.
- Shape Your Fate – Make decisions that will shape the fates of Aletheia and other characters you’ll meet along your journey.
Lastly from Sold Out we have KeyWe, a cute co-op mail delivery game only currently heading to PC sometime in 2021.
Currently in development at Stonewheat & Sons, KeyWe is a cute, co-operative postal puzzler starring Jeff and Debra, two small kiwi birds working in a whimsical post office. With no hands to help them, they must jump, flap, peck and butt-slam their way across an interactive landscape of levers, bells and buttons to get those messages delivered on time.
- Mail room mayhem – Take on the role of a postal-working kiwi bird and partner up with a friend to type out telegrams, send urgent messages, ship packages and keep the mail flowing.
- Cute, chaotic co-op – Buddy up on the couch or flock online.
Equally cute single-player – Control both kiwi birds on a single controller to venture out on a solo mail service adventure.
- Perilous postal environments – Navigate post office desks and shipping rooms to become a master of the mail service.
- Seasonal silliness – Encounter hazards caused by wintery weather, autumnal thunderstorms and more on the way to becoming postal pros.
- Customizable kiwis – Change the color of your kiwi’s feathers and unlock new accessories – because kiwi birds look cute in little hats!
All three of these games look promising, and definitely puts publisher Sold Out more prominently on my radar. Be sure to stay tuned to oprainfall for more news about these as it hits.
DisjunctionGestalt: Steam & CinderKeyWePAX EastSold Out