By Leah McDonald / November 20th, 2019
Jumping isn’t just for heroes anymore.
Wunderling, a new 2D platformer from developer Retroid, places players not in the hero’s shoes, but as a low-level goon who has unlocked the ability to jump.
From the developer:
In Wunderling, a retro video game henchman (the title character) is revived and given the power to jump by its master – the evil sorceress Kohlrabi. Seeking to tighten her hold on the Vegetable Kingdom and defeat its hero (the Carrot Man), she tasks the Wunderling with protecting her prisoner – the lovely Princess Pea. Unable to stop or change direction at will, planning ahead becomes a must. The Wunderling’s special abilities will be essential to navigate the game’s lengthy scrolling levels!
Scored by Ratvader (Oscar Sidoff Rydelius), the game features pixel art and non-stop action.
“Being on a Nintendo platform is surreal – almost dream-like,” says Niklas Istenes, producer and game designer. “We’re thrilled that our little indie game will get a shot at a huge audience through one of the world’s most beloved consoles. When designing Wunderling, we originally wanted to create an adventure game based around a single button and show that you can indeed make a traditional platformer with that premise. In Wunderling, you clear levels like traditional platform games – and you even have boss stages! We eventually added more buttons, but the game can still be played with one hand.”
- Jump between platforms and solve puzzles with one hand!
- Discover a hidden treasure in each stage.
- Unlock hidden Wunder-moves like “Boost” and “Wall-Jump”!
- Enjoy beautiful bite-sized pixel art.
- Laugh out loud with an original story by Alex Faciane (The Completionist/Super Beard Bros.)
- Listen to a nostalgic soundtrack by Ratvader (Oscar Sidoff Rydelius) of else Heart.Break(), Anthill (Nintendo Switch version), and Kenshō fame.
- Track down the hero: In Wunderling, YOU’RE the boss!
Wunderling hops onto the Nintendo Switch and Steam in 2020.
2D platformernintendo switchRatvaderRetroidSteamWunderling