By Alex Irish / November 1st, 2018
A section of today’s Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Direct was dedicated to unveiling further Assist Trophies and Mii Fighter costumes. The Direct formally confirmed that there will be 59 Assist Trophies in all, more than the number of Pokémon in fact.
Included with the returning Assist Trophies are Shadow the Hedgehog and Isaac from Golden Sun (returning from Smash Bros. Brawl). Many all-new characters as Assist Trophies were introduced, including:
- Yuri Kozukata from Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water. She uses her ghost-sighting camera to stun enemies.
- The Black Knight from Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance slashes fighters with a mighty sword swing.
- Thwomp from the Super Mario series hangs up high and crushes players below.
- For ARMS representation, Spring Man arrives with powerful punches.
- Dr. Wiley of Mega Man fame comes with his Wiley Capsule to attack.
- The Flies & Hand comes from Mario Paint to swat characters around the screen.
- Tiki from Fire Emblem appears in her dragon form to attack.
- Vince of Art Academy draws massive paintings that attack and hinder.
- Guile (complete with the Guile musical theme) and Akira both hail from fighting series’ Street Fighter and Virtual Fighter.
As previously announced, many Assist Trophies can be KO’d for an extra point, including by the player who summoned them.
As for Mii Fighters, several costumes were shown including Chibi Robo, Ribbon Girl from ARMS, Inklings based on their Splatoon 2 designs, a Yiga Clan outfit from The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, Ray MkII of Custom Robo, and even a Nintendo Labo Robo Toy-Con that includes the Robo Kit’s giant robot. Mii Fighters will also be able to have their voices adjusted, but Custom Moves look to be out after Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS.
nintendo switchSuper Smash Bros. Ultimate