Cooking Eorzea | Featured Image

Cooking Eorzea | Feature Image

Two years ago earlier this week, I arrived in California to start a new chapter in my life. Things definitely did not go as I wanted them to or hoped they would, and I am still dealing with the emotional fallout from it all. Here are things, positive and negative, about my life here.
First and foremost, I am definitely a basketball fan now. All it took was cheap tickets and major playoffs heartbreak to make it happen. I also both love and hate San Francisco. I love the possibilities in the city and the food and the theatre scene- there is simply no place like it.
As a counterbalance: I miss my friends from back home. It is super hard living three hours behind everyone I know, and realizing that people are getting ready to go to bed when you’re just wrapping up work. That is the hardest thing by far for me. I also experienced my second earthquake today- it was 5.5 on the Richter scale. I hated my first earthquake, and guess what? I hated my second one too! They still freak me out.

One of the biggest surprises for me, though, is Cooking Eorzea. I am making new dishes every week that I would never have had the courage to make beforehand. This column is helping to make me more confident in the kitchen and to help make me into a better person since I have to have patience and take care in order to make delicious things. And everything is made with Love, Eorzean Style.

If you’ve missed an installment of Cooking Eorzea, you can check out all the prior recipes here.

Recipe of the Week

This week’s Cooking Eorzea dish is the eighth recipe, Oriental Breakfast, that comes with a ‘Medium’ difficulty and hails from the Othard region. It consists of several miniature dishes inside of it: rice, tamagoyaki, green tea, salmon, miso soup, and pickled vegetables. I decided that, to make this week’s dish, I would try to have everything come up within a few minutes of each other. And honestly? I succeeded! Everything came up within four minutes of each other.

Anyway, here is how the professionals make the Oriental Breakfast dish look!

Cooking Eorzea | Oriental Breakfast Professional Image.
Image courtesy of Insight Editions.

Featured Ingredient of the Week

Cooking Eorzea | Sake
Photo by author.

Sake is made by fermenting rice that has had the bran removed, and for once, I didn’t pick the cheapest version of an alcoholic beverage to work with. Cooking with alcohol, and using alcohol to impart flavors to the food, is still a very surprising concept to me. The fact that I was going to be rubbing sake into the salmon fillets was something that I had honestly not considered before, and I was blown away by how it ultimately worked out. This uniqueness, at least to me, was why I chose sake to be the Ingredient of the Week.

My Cooking Attempt

As always, we start off with a picture of all the ingredients used. Yes, there are quite a few that I utilized for this week:

Cooking Eorzea | Ingredients |
Photo by author.


Sunday was all about preparing the pickled vegetables. First, I heated up the water until it was fairly warm.

Cooking Eorzea | Heating up water.
Photo by author.

While the water was heating up, I removed the end from the daikon radish, peeled it, chopped it in half, and then sliced it. I then also sliced the cucumbers.

Cooking Eorzea | Slicing up daikon radish.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Slicing cucumbers.

I then measured out the sugar, salt, rice vinegar, and added it all together in an airtight container with the sliced vegetables.

Cooking Eorzea | Pickled vegetable ingredients.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Ingredients in an airtight container.

I ended up not having enough liquid to completely submerge the vegetable slices, and so I added (per the recipe!) more rice vinegar and warm water until it was completely filled. I then closed the lid on and shook the container to ensure that all the ingredients were blended together.

Cooking Eorzea | Shaking the container.
Photo by author.

I then placed the soon-to-be pickled vegetables into the refrigerator to…well…pickle.

Cooking Eorzea | Pickling vegetables in the fridge.
Photo by author.


On Monday, I first chopped a salmon fillet into four pieces.

Cooking Eorzea | Chopping salmon.
Photo by author.

I added some sake to a bowl and then rubbed it into the salmon fillet pieces.

Cooking Eorzea | Rubbing sake into salmon.
Photo by author.

After the sake-rubbed salmon rested for five minutes, I patted the salmon dry with paper towels.

Cooking Eorzea | Patting the salmon dry.
Photo by author.

I added salt into a bowl, and I then coated both sides of the salmon fillets with salt.

Cooking Eorzea | I coated both sides of the salmon with salt.
Photo by author.

I folded over a paper towel, placed it into the bottom of a second airtight container, and then added the salted salmon fillets on top. I then added another paper towel on top and closed the lid on.

Cooking Eorzea | Placing salmon into an airtight container.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Added more paper towels.

I then placed the salted salmon fillets in the refrigerator next to the pickling vegetables.

Cooking Eorzea | Placing the salmon into the refrigerator next to the pickled vegetables.
Photo by author.


First, I added water to a pot and then added a piece of kombu to it to let it soak for four hours. I realized that in order to make all the dishes come up at roughly the same time, I had to base everything about the miso soup with tofu.

Cooking Eorzea | Kombu into a pot.
Photo by author.

While reviewing the recipe, I realized that I needed some nonstick spray, and so I picked up a bottle from the store while the kombu soaked.

Cooking Eorzea | Nonstick Spray.
Photo by author.

About a half hour before the kombu was ready, I washed a cup of white rice in the sink.

Cooking Eorzea | Washing rice.
Photo by author.

The rice wasn’t totally clean the first time I washed it, and so I had to wash it a second time.

Cooking Eorzea | Cloudy rice.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Cleaned rice.

I sliced the bottom and leaves off of a leek and then split it in half.

Cooking Eorzea | Sliced leeks.
Photo by author.

Once the four hours were up, I placed the kombu and water into a smaller pot and then turned on the heat. Once the pot was ready, I placed it over medium heat. Once the water was just about to boil, I removed the kombu.

Cooking Eorzea | Removing kombu.
Photo by author.

I then placed the two leeks to simmer for a half-hour. Once the leeks went in, I started the rice cooker.

Cooking Eorzea | Simmering leeks.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Cooking rice.

Once I started the rice cooker, I cracked four eggs into a cup and then got the other ingredients ready to make the tamagoyaki. Once the other ingredients were added to the cup, I whisked them all together.

Cooking Eorzea | Set of tamagoyaki ingredients.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Whisking tamagoyaki ingredients.

After I prepped the tamagoyaki mixture, I heated up another cup of water for the wakame to soak in.

Cooking Eorzea | Heating up water.
Photo by author.

At this point, I added in the bonito flakes to the pot and let the whole thing simmer for another 15 minutes.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding bonito flakes in.
Photo by author.

While the bonito flakes simmered in the pot, I sliced the scallions, and added the hot water to the wakame to rehydrate it.

Cooking Eorzea | Slicing scallions.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding water to the wakame.

I got out the firm tofu and sliced it into small squares.

Cooking Eorzea | Slicing firm tofu.
Photo by author.

At this point, the rice was ready, and it went to standby mode to keep the rice warm.

Cooking Eorzea | Rice is ready.
Photo by author.

I got out my tamagoyaki pan, and I sprayed it with nonstick spray. I then added a small amount of tamagoyaki mixture to the pan and I waited it to solidify.

Cooking Eorzea | Spraying the tamagoyaki pan.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding tamagoyaki mixture to the pan.

Once it was ready, I rolled it up and added another layer of tamagoyaki mixture to the pan. Once it was ready, I rolled it up as well.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding mixture to the pan.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Letting tamagoyaki cook.

At this point, the bonito flakes were done simmering, and so I lowered the heat on the tamagoyaki pan and strained the leeks and bonito flakes out of the dashi stock into a large pot. I then poured the dashi stock back into the small pot and let it cook on a low simmer.

Cooking Eorzea | Straining the dashi stock.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Dashi stock simmering next to the tamagoyaki pan.

Unfortunately, I didn’t turn the heat down enough on the tamagoyaki…because when I rolled it up, I discovered that it had burned really badly.

Cooking Eorzea | Burned tamagoyaki.
Photo by author.

I turned the dashi stock down to a very low simmer, and I quickly made another tamagoyaki mixture and then started to make another tamagoyaki dish.

Cooking Eorzea | Remade tamagoyaki mixture.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Making tamagoyaki.

I kept rolling the tamagoyaki and adding more and more thin layers into the pan until I used up all the mixture. Once it was ready, I wrapped it up into a bamboo rolling mat and tightened it up to help give it a shape.

Cooking Eorzea | Finishing tamagoyaki.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Rolling tamagoyaki in a bamboo rolling mat.

While I let the tamagoyaki rest in the bamboo rolling mat, I got the salmon fillet pieces out and placed them on a cooking sheet. I then turned on broil mode on my oven and slid the salmon fillet pieces underneath the heat for three minutes.

Cooking Eorzea | Salmon fillets on a baking sheet.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Broiling salmon fillets.

As soon as I popped the salmon fillets into the oven, the dashi stock was warm enough that I added in the tofu and wakame and I let all of that warm up for a few more minutes.

Cooking Eorzea | Tofu and Wakame in the dashi stock.
Photo by author.

Once the wakame and the firm tofu were ready, I added in the shiro miso. I added in less than I did in the prior attempt, and I do think it improved the miso soup.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding shiro miso to the soup.
Photo by author.

At this point, the timer went off for the salmon fillets, and so I pulled them out of the oven and then flipped them over. I also added loose leaf green tea to a tea pot.

Cooking Eorzea | Flipping salmon.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding loose leaf green tea to a kettle.

As more water heated up in the microwave, I put the salmon filets back into the oven to broil.

Cooking Eorzea | Heating up water.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Broiling the other side of fish.

While the fish broiled, I unrolled and sliced the tamagoyaki.

Cooking Eorzea | Slicing tamagoyaki.
Photo by author.

After slicing the tamagoyaki, I added the hot water to the tea pot and let the green tea steep. At this point, the salmon fillets were ready, and I pulled them out of the oven as well.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding hot water to tea.
Photos by author.

I then pulled the rice out of the rice cooker and added the sliced scallions to the miso soup with tofu.

Cooking Eorzea | Finished rice.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Adding scallions to misu soup.

At this point, green tea was ready and I pulled the pickled vegetables out of the refrigerator.

Cooking Eorzea | Finished green tea in the tea pot.
Photos by author.

Cooking Eorzea | Pickled vegetables.

Finally, I sliced the lemon into wedges!

Cooking Eorzea | Sliced a lemon.
Photo by author.

All of these dishes, with the exception of the rice, came up within four minutes of each other! And here is the final dish for this week’s Cooking Eorzea once I assembled them all together:

Cooking Eorzea | Oriental Breakfast Final Dish
Photo by author.

The pickled vegetables, despite smelling a bit…strong…were delicious. The rice was great, and the tamagoyaki was amazing, too. It had a strong, somewhat bold taste that clearly came from the mirin and the soy. The miso soup with tofu was, of course, delicious. And I think lessening the shiro miso was probably key to making it better than last week’s attempt. The green tea was green tea – nothing unique about that. The salmon was perfectly crispy, though I think I overdid it with the salt in the very beginning, because it was just a bit too salty for me to be happy about.

Overall, I loved this dish, and I would eat it even if I wasn’t writing Cooking Eorzea. That said, it took too long to make as a whole.


I don’t think I would make this dish again. Even though everything except the rice came up within four minutes of each other, it still took time over three days to prepare. Otherwise, I would definitely have not salted the fish as much as I did. It really did take away from the delicious flavor of an otherwise great meal.

I want to thank Victoria Rosenthal for writing The Ultimate FINAL FANTASY XIV Online Cookbook. This column wouldn’t be possible without her giving me the guidebook for making all of the dishes from Eorzea. I also want to thank the staff over at Insight Editions for giving me permission to use the photos from their book to show how these recipes are actually supposed to look. Furthermore, I owe Brandon Rose a special thanks for creating the logo for this series on short notice. You should check him and his works out over on Twitter.

I also want to thank both Hiromichi Tanaka and Naoki Yoshida for producing FINAL FANTASY XIV Online in both 1.0 and 2.0+. I am still playing through Endwalker, and I am absolutely adoring the story that started so, so long ago.

Next? Week?

The next dish for Cooking Eorzea will be the Doma specialty, Oden. Due to the…uniqueness…of the ingredients involved, it may not come out next week but the week after instead. To be blunt: I am not sure that I can find everything I need to make it in time. Either way, please keep an eye on this column for the next installment!

How great are you at multitasking? How have your attempts to make sure everything comes up fully cooked at roughly the same time?

Let us know in the comments below!

Quentin H.
I have been a journalist for oprainfall since 2015, and I have loved every moment of it.