By Aaron Evangelisti / March 31st, 2020
Have you ever wondered what games like Double Dragon and Streets of Rage might be like if they featured a more tactical battle system, complete with menus? Not really? Well the folks over at Nuchallenger and HurakanWorks chose to make the dreams you didn’t know you had come true anyway with their new game, Treachery in Beatdown City.
Treachery in Beatdown City is a tactical brawler feature a unique battle system that incorporates elements of tactics/strategy RPGs. The player assumes of the role of one of three playable characters, all featuring their own unique fighting style, as they attempt to save the president from a clan of evil ninjas known as the Ninja Dragon Terrorists. The game features a chiptunes soundtrack composed by Inverse Phase, known for their albums Pretty Eight Machine and Chipping of Isaac. Be sure to checkout the trailer below to see this game in action.
Treachery in Beatdown City is out now on Steam and Nintendo Switch for $19.99 USD, however if you act fast you can pick it up discounted to $14.99. Checkout the press release blow for more info:
March 31, 2020 — Nuchallenger announces that the first episode of its highly-anticipated tactical street brawler Treachery in Beatdown City is now available for purchase on the Nintendo Switch and on Steam for the PC. Featuring music from Chiptunes legend Inverse Phase and a innovative tactical battle system that allows players to strategically create and execute customized combos, players will battle it out over five dense urban maps spanning the diverse sites and off-beat people of East Fulton in their quest to rescue kidnapped President Blake Orama. Also for a limited-time, Treachery in Beatdown City will be available for $14.99 before returning to its regular sales price of $19.99.
When US President Blake Orama is kidnapped by Ninja Dragon Terrorists, it’s up to three street warriors, police cadet Lisa Santiago, retired pro-wrestler Brad Steele and martial arts master Bruce Maxwell to take to the streets to battle through the ridiculous chaos (and annoying urbanites) of East Fulton to ultimately save the day. Each warrior has their own unique fighting style which players will further customize with an all new battle system combining the best parts of beat ‘em ups, fighting games, turn based tactics and RPGS!
A list of features include:
- Switch between 3 fighters in between fights – Lisa Santiago, an MMA fighter and Boxer, Bruce Maxwell, a Jeet Kune Do/Capoeira specialist, and a Brad “The Bull Killer” Steele, a former professional wrestler.
- Choose from dozens of attacks to create long chains of strike combos, grapple combos, and strikeagrapple-ombos!
- Use a mix of real time and tactical COMBO MENU based attacks to tackle your foes!
- Fight over 40 class based enemies, each with a health based behavior system built to change up attacks and keep players on their toes!
- Music by Inverse Phase, creator of such albums as Pretty Eight Machine and the Chipping of Isaac
- Take in the sites of East Holden with 5 unique maps that take you through a lovingly crafted city complete with rivers, Chinatown, and of course, City Hall
- Learn about your heroes and enemies through comedic cutscenes filled with political satire, microaggressions (made famous in Get Out), and Ren and Stimpy inspired cutscene art