By Josh Speer / March 17th, 2020
Though I have a bit of a mixed reaction to games that remind me of Dark Souls, Blue Fire caught my attention this morning. It was shown in some detail during Nintendo’s Indie World presentation, and the thing that stood out most to me was the large and vibrant 3D world. This is definitely a game for platformer fans, though it also looks to have some hard-as-nails enemies to destroy.
Developed by Robi Studios and set to be published by Graffiti Games, Blue Fire takes place in a haunted world called Penumbra. You must hack and slash your way through it, while going on quests and fighting dangerous monsters. Much like the other games shown during the Indie World, Blue Fire will come to Switch first as a timed exclusive this Summer, but will later make its way to other systems. I personally think it looks rather promising, though you can decide for yourself. It kind of reminds me of a mixture of Zelda and Hollow Knight stylistically.
To see more details about Blue Fire, you can check out the press details collected below. Or just check out the sweet little trailer for an idea how the game works.
A Dark World Awaits
Embark on an extraordinary journey through the desolated kingdom of Penumbra and discover the hidden secrets of this long-forgotten land. Explore mystical temples, encounter survivors and take on strange quests to collect valuable items. Along your adventure, slash your way through daunting adversaries, roam across mysterious and abandoned regions, leap through deadly traps and ultimately master the art of movement.
- A Haunting World – Travel through the perished world of Penumbra to explore unique areas filled with diverse enemies, sharp 3D platforming challenges, quests, collectibles and more.
- Slash Your Way Through Great Adversaries – Encounter dangerous enemies with distinct fighting styles and partake in intense combat-platforming boss fights.
- Encounter Peculiar Survivors – A long time has passed since Penumbra fell into darkness, but those that survived the kingdom’s fall will aid your journey to unlock valuable rewards.
- Collectibles – Once a rich and lush kingdom, Penumbra is filled with many collectibles and items to discover, loot, collect, sell, trade and purchase.
- Upgrades – No great warrior can battle the dangers lurking in Penumbra without the proper equipment. Upgrade your swords, collect valuable amulets and unlock new abilities to transform into a fierce fighter.
- Lost in the Void – Far from Penumbra, there is a lost land called The Void. Find Void entrances throughout the world to uncover abstract platforming challenges that require great mastery to gather the valuable rewards hidden inside.
3Daction platformerBlue FireGraffiti GamesIndie WorldPenumbraRobi Studios