By Justin Guillou / November 7th, 2017
For those of you that will be in the New York City area, Anime NYC will be happening in a couple of weeks starting on Friday November 17th. Powered by Crunchyroll and Leftfield Media, this three-day event is looking to be a good time for Anime fans. They have just released the schedule to give you a little taste of what to expect. Tickets should still be available so it’s not too late to register. For more information on some of the panels, check out the press release below:
The ‘Short & Sweet: RPGs worth your time’ panel is actually being hosted by Operation Rainfall on Sunday November 19th at 11:45AM. Come join us as we discuss the origins of RPGs along with some great ones that can give you a full RPG experience in a relatively short amount of time. This event is heavily based on an editorial I wrote last year. We hope to see some of you there!
Anime NYC powered by Crunchyroll and presented by LeftField Media will present three days of entertaining and educational programming about Japanese culture, the anime industry, gaming, and more at the inaugural show at New York’s Javits Center (655 W 34th St) from November 17-19. Over 20,000 fans are expected to convene for the show and dive into exclusive film and anime screenings, panels with internationally renowned artists and creators, and live musical experiences over the weekend. Attendees can start planning their Anime NYC experience and view the full schedule online now at: www.animenyc.com/panels. Tickets range from $35-40.
“Anime is something just outside of the mainstream, but there’s always been a hunger for it,” says Peter Tatara, Vice President of Anime Events for LeftField Media. “For us, Anime NYC is an opportunity to build a cool, colorful event that will put the anime, manga, and so much more that fans love on center stage.”
Highlights from Anime NYC include:
Friday, November 17
- Anime Diva Night powered by Anisong World Matsuri (8:00PM – Main Stage) Anime NYC and Lantis Co., Ltd. Present the first Anime Diva Night – a concert featuring top hits and anime songs from global artists Yoko Ishida, Chihiro Yonekura, and TRUE.
- PokeBiology (2:00PM – Panel Room 1) Ever wonder about the seemingly infinite number of Tentacool in the ocean? How a Weedle can take down a Snorlax? Or ever wish your Pokemon team could function in the real world? This panel covers some real-life parallels between the Pokemon universe and our own, including some ecology, physiology, and other basic biological concepts.
- SKY-HI (4:00PM – Panel Room 3) Meet one of Japan’s biggest rappers, SKY-HI, in a rare appearance live at Anime NYC. Mitsuhiro Hidaka, who started his career in 2005 as a member of the Japanese idol group AAA, shares stories from his career as SKY-HI during this talk.
- Haikyu!!: Meet the U.S. Stars (4:15PM – Main Stage) Sentai Filmworks brings the sports anime “Haikyu!!” out in English for the first time. Meet stars Bryson Baugus (Shoyo Hinata), Scott Gibbs (Tobio Kageyama), and Director Kyle Colby Jones as they talk about their work on the series.
- How to Take a Selfie (5:30PM – Panel Room 2) Four master level cosplay photographers teach a photography workshop everyone can relate to. Photographic techniques will be broken down into clear, practical advice on how to look your best.
- 20 Years of “One Piece” (8:00PM – Panel Room 3) The One Piece Podcast presents a panel about the most popular manga of all time. This panel is dedicated to the amazing moments and history behind this Guinness World Record-setting series. Join in and celebrate its amazing 20th anniversary with Anime NYC.
Saturday, November 18
- Official “Sailor Moon” Panel (11:15AM – Main Stage) The largest gathering of Sailor Guardians yet descends on the Big Apple for an event of epic proportions. Meet over 10 “Sailor Moon” English voice actors in this very special event packed to the brim with news, sneak peeks, and announcements galore. Every attendee will receive an exclusive gift while supplies last, only available at Anime NYC.
- LeSean Thomas Q&A (3:00PM – Main Stage) New York native LeSean Thomas has worked in the animation industries in the U.S., South Korea, and Japan – and Anime NYC is proud to welcome him home. Hear Thomas speak about growing up in the Bronx, getting his start in the animation field, and what it takes to make it in the world of anime. Attendees will have the chance to hear about Thomas’ diverse career as an artist, animation producer, and director, and his work on projects including the Peabody Award-winning “The Boondocks” (Supervising Character Designer, Co-Director), “The Legend of Korra” (Storyboard Artist, Animation Production), and “Black Dynamite” (Creative Producer, Supervising Director). Thomas is also the creator of Crunchyroll’s “Children of Ether” and “Cannon Busters,” coming to Netflix next year.
- “Princess Principal” Screening and Q&A (2:45PM – Main Stage) Come enjoy the first episode of the critically acclaimed anime “Princess Principal” followed by a Q&A session with Director Masaki Tachibana.
- Cosplay & Disabilities (12:45PM – Panel Room 2) Join Anime NYC for a discussion about cosplaying with disabilities, as well as the positive aspects cosplay can introduce into a person’s life. Hear stories from fellow cosplayers about the joy it can bring and how we can all keep fan conventions a fun, adventurous, and equal place for all.
- Nerds on Hip-Hop: Bridging Anime and Hip-Hop (5:45PM – Panel Room 2) Entertainment journalist Victoria Johnson and Doctor of Education student Marcus Wolfe will lead a panel discussing the intersection between hip-hop music and anime including notables such as “Samurai Champloo” and upcoming series like “Tephlon Funk.”
- Inside the Action of “Infini-T Force” with VIZ Media and Tatsunoko (2:00PM – Panel Room 1)Think you know Japanese anime superheroes? Get ready for beloved characters coming together with “Infini-T Force,” the action-packed series that unites popular figures Gatchaman, Tekkaman, Polimar, and Casshan in one awesome team. Meet the project’s Producer Kaz Haruna, joining the convention all the way from Japan, as well as other special guests who will give attendees the inside scoop on the brand new series. Attendees will receive an exclusive premium poster while supplies last.
- Japanese Feminism 101 (3:45PM – Panel Room 2) Feminist critique of anime is all over the internet today. However, how is feminism manifested in modern-day Japan? This panel introduces key women in Japanese feminist history such as Raicho Hiratsuka and Beate Sirota Gordon as well as feminist artists like Machiko Hasegawa and Rokudenashiko.
- “IDOLiSH7” Premiere and Q&A (6:00PM – Panel Room 1) Enjoy the first two episodes of upcoming anime “IDOLiSH7,” adapted from a Japanese music game, before the series debuts in Japan. Following this premiere screening, Director Makoto Bessho and Executive Producer Sokichi Shimooka will talk about bringing the beloved game to life in an anime.
- Masquerade ULTRA DELUXE presented by Tokyo Otaku Mode (8:00PM – Main Stage) Part costume contest and part Japanese game show, see Anime NYC’s best cosplayers strut their stuff – or maybe even get on stage yourself.
- Exploring Dystopia in “Attack on Titan,” “The Walking Dead,” and Fahrenheit 451 (8:45PM – Panel Room 2) This panel will focus on the dystopian theme that runs through mainstream shows and publications “Attack on Titan,” “The Walking Dead,” and Fahrenheit 451. Explore the similarities and differences of the dystopia in these three works in this in-depth discussion.
Sunday, November 19
- Fullmetal Alchemist U.S. Premiere (3:15PM – Main Stage) Anime NYC is proud to present the live-action Fullmetal Alchemist film’s exclusive US Premiere on November 19 as the Closing Film of the inaugural Anime NYC convention! Fullmetal Alchemist, which tells the story of two alchemist brothers seeking the Philosopher’s Stone, is one of the year’s most anticipated films in Japan and for anime fans around the world, with its original manga series having sold over 70 million copies worldwide!Fullmetal Alchemist Director Fumihiko Sori will make a rare appearance at Anime NYC to introduce the film and sign autographs for fans before the debut, which will be the film’s first screening in the US ahead of its premiere in Japanese theaters later this year. This special ticketed event is sold out.
- NYC Ramen Summit (12:00PM – Panel Room 1) Globally-recognized ramen chefs Ivan Orkin (Ivan Ramen, Slurp Shop) and Shigetoshi Nakamura (Nakamura) along with Sun Noodle’s Kenshiro Uki sit together on the first NYC Ramen Summit. The three will discuss their unique careers, the cultural significance of ramen, and the dish’s devoted following in New York and across the U.S. Sho Spaeth, Features Editor at Serious Eats, joins to moderate the discussion.
- Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower Premiere & Concert (11:30AM – Main Stage) The U.S. premiere of the second Gundam Thunderbolt film screens live at Anime NYC! Come see Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower on the big screen, followed by a one-of-a-kind jazz show led by the film’s composer Naruyoshi Kikuchi.
- Japanese Tea and You (10:45AM – Panel Room 2) ‘Ryokucha,’ or Japanese green tea, has become more and more popular outside of Japan in recent years, but it’s still misunderstood. This panel will review the unique processing and varieties of ryokucha, hot and iced brewing methods, and ways to easily incorporate it into your daily life.
- Cosplays Tips & Tricks with YuffieBunny and Uncanny Megan (11:00AM – Panel Room 3) With well over 15 years of combined experience, cosplayers Uncanny Megan and YuffieBunny unleash some of their favorite cosplay tips and tricks. The duo will cover areas ranging from sewing, wig styling, constructing armor, and prop building to tips on wearing different kinds of cosplays at conventions. Attendees can participate in a Q&A at the end.
- Short & Sweet: Role Playing Games Worth Your Time (11:45AM – Panel Room 2) Ever wanted to play a role playing game, or RPG, but were intimidated or felt you have no time to dive into a lengthy game? This panel acts as a guide for those who are looking to ease their way into the world of Japanese role playing games. Come learn about the origins of the genre and a few games that can give you the full RPG experience in a fraction of the time.
- “Terra Formars” English Premiere (1:00PM – Panel Room 1) What would happen if humans could harness a special biological technology to make planets like Mars habitable? Dark, visceral and violent, “Terra Formars” is hard sci-fi at its finest that presents stinging questions about space exploration and human progress. Episodes will be presented uncut for the first time in English.
- So Your Kid Wants to Cosplay? (2:45PM – Panel Room 2) So your kid wants to cosplay… now what? A simple guide for parents to understand the basics of cosplay and how it can impact the lives of their children. Potential cosplayers can also come to see how they should approach their parents if they want to cosplay.
SOURCE: Press Release
animeAnime NYCConventionsCosplayNew YorkNYCOperation RainfallPanelPokemon DivaRPGsVideo Games