By Jonathan Falu / May 5th, 2017
Strain Tactics has released on Steam, a ARPG/RTS-hybrid developed by Touch Dimensions, who are also responsible for other strategy games released on Steam. The games they released previously were Autumn Dynasty and Wizards & Dragons. The developers released a summary of the game and its features, along with their own thoughts regarding the release
After losing a secret war fought on the surface of Neptune against a hostile alien organism, you’re faced with the realization that the “Strain” threat is heading for Earth. A re-cloned commander of the Neptune Incident, you must now take command of up to five ground team members to defeat the Strain … and put an end to the alien menace once and for all.
Taking a bird’s-eye view of the battlefield from the vantage point of your Helibase, you’re able to issue commands to assault units who can be inserted (and extracted from) anywhere on the battlefield. Choose from 80 playable characters – each equipped with a weapon and three extra inventory slots for maximum flexibility. With more than 150 unique items and weapons, you can customize the ground team to deal with virtually any situation – both domestic and extraterrestrial!
Draw paths for your units using a nifty drag control system, and give special commands to your troops while they follow the path – allowing you to carefully choreograph the flow of battle. Need to quickly change orders? No problem: You can manually override orders in real time and direct individual soldiers (or multiple units) to new targets on the go. Experienced soldiers will level up – increasing their damage, resistance, or endurance. If you face casualties, you can recover body bags to revive team members – or sell their corpses for much-needed credits.
With a variety of maps and distinct scenarios, each mission in Strain Tactics can be approached like a sandbox. And if things get too crazy on the ground, the Helibase features its own weapon systems: Support your ground team from afar with some serious firepower!
Jeffrey Jiang (Co-Founder, Touch Dimensions):
“After releasing well-reviewed strategy games Autumn Dynasty and Wizards & Wagons, it was tricky to decide what our next project should be. We put our nose to the grindstone and didn’t come up for air for a very long time… The result is Strain Tactics – our most ambitious game to date.”
Kai Lim (Creative Director, Touch Dimensions):
“Strain Tactics is a love letter to ‘80s sci-fi with its strange alien monsters, mutated fiends – and endless, often gory gunfights. But a game is more than sharp visuals or visceral sound effects. The mouse-driven control scheme in Strain Tactics is never in the way and allows for minute tactical changes at a moment’s notice.”
* Build and command your own 1-5 member heliborne task force.
* Assemble a ground team from 80 playable characters with unique personalities and strengths – featuring 1-3 extra inventory slots and countless weapon/item combinations.
* Choreograph your team’s actions in real time with a dynamic drag control system or manually micromanage units.
* Defend your Helibase and protect your team from above with miniguns, autocannons, and more.
* Preserve the mental health of your team – and protect its members from contamination.
* Level up your units, deploy tactical items, and revive fallen team members by body-bagging (or sell their corpses for points).
* Travel to more than 30 maps with five unique scenarios – including Hunter-Killer, Escort, Retrieval, Perimeter Defense, and Clean Sweep.
Strain Tactics is currently available on Steam for $14.99. You can also check out a trailer for the game down below, along with some screenshots of the game too:
ARPGindie devreal-time strategytouch dimensions