By Jonathan Falu / December 21st, 2016
Dex has finally arrived on the PlayStation Vita, previously available on the Xbox One and PS4, as well as Steam. It is currently only available digitally. In addition to the trailer and screenshots below, the developers, Czech studio Dreadlocks, has also released the following on the game:
Take on the role of Dex, being chased by corporate mercs for an undisclosed reason. With nowhere to go, Dex is forced to question her own existence while dodging vicious attackers across a dreary city of the future. However, Dex is not alone: A trio of “hacktivists” — the mysterious Raycast, protective Decker, and light-minded Tony — are ready and willing to help Dex in her quest.
The streets of Harbor Prime offer countless opportunities to fight against dangerous gangs, expose corporate secrets, dive into the depths of cyberspace, develop Dex’s skills and much more. The outskirts of the city are plagued by crime, poverty and filth. Out there, every day presents a new struggle for survival. The wealthier districts are full of skyscrapers and bustling businesses. Yet beneath the sleek exterior, another war is going on, with powerful corporations constantly at each other’s throats. Woe to those who get caught in the crossfire!
Michal Červenka (CEO, Dreadlocks):
“With Dex, we tried to portray the struggle for individuality with a mix of action and role-playing gameplay. PlayStation Vita owners have much to be excited for as 2016 draws to a close.”
* Rare mix of realism and creative vision: Realistic action, mature storyline, and complex character interactions combined with hand-drawn characters, animations, locations, arcade-style melee combat, and an original conception of cyberspace.
* Multiple solutions to problems: Operate in cyberspace or everyday reality. Overcome obstacles using skills, weapons, or special equipment.
* Meaningful character progression choices: Will you be a straightforward brawler, a hacker or a silent assassin? Improve your character and gear to unlock game-changing upgrades that reinforce and customize your play style.
* Unique hacking mechanic: Transfer your consciousness to your avatar, overcome intrusion countermeasures, take action, and return back to your body in a fraction of a second to see the results: deactivated turrets, overloaded devices, enemies with crippled implants…
* Neo-cyberpunk storyline: Inspired by the cyberpunk novels of William Gibson and other classical cyberpunk authors — sprinkled with elements of augmented reality.
* Rich game world and mindful level design: Visit diverse locations in Harbor Prime — a futuristic city complete with luxurious skyscrapers, rundown shanty towns, and seedy red light districts. Take part in street brawls, steal corporate data, overcome environmental hazards, and (of course!) try to stay alive.
* Full voice acting: Interactive dialogue using hand-drawn sprite animations — fully voice-acted by professional voiceover artists.
Dex is currently priced at $19.99, and available digitally on the Vita. The game is also features crossbuy with the PlayStation 4. We also have a review of the game on the PlayStation 4 if you wish to see how it fared on that console. Only the PlayStation 4 has a physical boxed edition, and it seems to be only available in the UK.
Badland GamesDexDreadlocks Ltd.Role Playing Gameside-scrolling