OUYA Kickstarter supporters, it’s time to get excited. Backers of the new Android-powered console can expect their units to begin shipping on March 28th, according to CEO Julie Uhrman, who notes that supporters should “Keep a lookout in your inbox for an email from us. It will have your tracking number and estimated delivery date. Might take a few weeks to get to everyone. We have a lot of OUYAs to ship!”
In addition, she also announced a plethora of news surrounding the console. For starters, and perhaps the biggest piece of news besides the ship date, is the addition of thatgamecompany (developer of the critically-acclaimed Journey) co-founder Kellee Santiago to the OUYA team as a leader for developer relations. “We’ve been looking for someone to lead our outreach to developers, someone who really ‘gets’ how developers work, someone who can help devs bring their most creative, exciting work to OUYA,” Uhrman says. Santiago had her own comments, stating that, “OUYA gets it. This is the first console company that really understands how important it is to remove the barriers to development. By freeing up the development process, OUYA is opening up new doors in console gaming.” Considering the amount of innovation thatgamecompany has injected into the industry, this will no doubt be a strong addition to the OUYA team.
Uhrman also announced some new titles that will be coming to the platform. Kim Swift, who has worked on such titles as Left 4 Dead and Portal, will be working with developer Airtight Games (makers of Quantum Conundrum) on an exclusive for the OUYA. Fans of Papo & Yo can get excited, as developer Minority Media is working on an unnamed “adventure puzzler” to be released this Fall, which will also be the first title to use both the OUYA’s touchpad and controller buttons simultaneously. Tripwire Interactive, of Killing Floor and Red Orchestra 2 fame, are working on a new title called The Ball, which is slated for release next month. Lastly, those who have been looking forward to developer nWay’s free-to-play action-RPG Chronoblade will be happy to know that it will be making its way to the OUYA. “ChronoBlade looks great, and the skill-based combat system puts the “action” back in action-RPG,” Uhrman notes.
To wrap up this swarm of OUYA news, Urhman also announced the winners of the CREATE 10-day game jam. These titles are:
- CREATE Grand Prize: Strange Happenings on Murder Island (http://www NULL.killscreendaily NULL.com/create/video NULL.php?submissionID=199) (Free Lives)
- Most Surprising: Television (http://www NULL.killscreendaily NULL.com/create/video NULL.php?submissionID=162) (Laboratory Games LLC)
- Four Bright Buttons and Two Sticks: Bombball (http://www NULL.killscreendaily NULL.com/create/video NULL.php?submissionID=65) (E McNeill)
- Most Immersive: Whispering Willows (http://www NULL.killscreendaily NULL.com/create/video NULL.php?submissionID=188) (Night Light Interactive)
- Pop Your Eyes Out: Pipnis (http://www NULL.killscreendaily NULL.com/create/video NULL.php?submissionID=79) (Santa Ragione)
- Best Couch with Friends Games: 2D Cube Zombie Platformer (http://www NULL.killscreendaily NULL.com/create/video NULL.php?submissionID=15) (Molinware)
- Best Game Created Using Unity Engine: Stikbold (http://www NULL.killscreendaily NULL.com/create/video NULL.php?submissionID=115) (Team Stikbold)
After a huge Kickstarter campaign that saw nearly $8.6 million raised last year, the OUYA console is currently on track for a formal release sometime this June. The unit will cost $99.99 and is currently available for pre-order. If you haven’t already, you can pre-order yours now on Amazon (http://amzn NULL.to/VBDObc) and GameStop (http://www NULL.gamestop NULL.com/elect/consoles/ouya-game-console/107853). Already have yours pre-ordered? Looking forward to the OUYA? Let us know in the comments below.
SOURCE (http://www NULL.kickstarter NULL.com/projects/ouya/ouya-a-new-kind-of-video-game-console/posts/416291)
Pre-order the OUYA from Amazon.com today! (http://amzn NULL.to/VBDObc)
Pre-order the OUYA from Amazon.ca today! (http://www NULL.amazon NULL.ca/gp/product/B0050SZD18/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=15121&creative=390961&creativeASIN=B0050SZD18&linkCode=as2&tag=opr04-20)