By Alex Irish / June 21st, 2018
The long-awaited, oft-delayed 2D fighter Pocket Rumble will be launching on Nintendo Switch July 5th, a mere two weeks away from this writing. Originally released on Steam in 2016, the Switch port has been long-delayed since its February 2017 announcement, before the Switch itself even released worldwide.
Some of the features that will set the Switch version of Pocket Rumble apart from its PC compadre include:
– Simple 2-button controls with universal and easy special move inputs, involving no complex joystick motions
– Short combos with straightforward timing and cancel system
– Diverse cast of characters, each with their own unique meter and mechanics
– On-screen frame data bar and visual indicators for properties such as invulnerability to introduce players to fighting game basics
– Near-flawless online multiplayer with GGPO netcode
– HD rumble support, specific to the Nintendo Switch version
Interest in Pocket Rumble can be attributed in great part to its look and feel. It is a throwback fighter to the Neo Geo Pocket Color, featuring simplified two-button combat. Steam owners can look forward to extra content, including a fleshed-out single player mode, Kickstarter-made bosses, and the new playable character Morgana. These updates will be folded into the Switch version sometime after launch as a 2.0 update.
Chucklefishnintendo switchPocket Rumble