By Eric Chetkauskas / March 22nd, 2015
It’s been a couple weeks off for the Retro Wrap-Up, but for good reasons. The first week, I was at PAX East in Boston taking in the sites and getting coverage for you guys. The next week, I was busy fighting off the inevitable PAX Plague that seems to strike everyone as punishment for having fun. But, I’m back and this week I’m going to focus on recapping that busy weekend.
Unfortunately, there were no formal interviews this time around, but I did cover thirteen-ish games–I still don’t know if Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition counts as one game or two–in some form or another. I got a chance to try out both highly-anticipated major titles and some obscure, yet amazing indie games. While there was some disappointment at the long lines preventing me from getting a chance with certain games, like Splatoon, I was happy to see some of the games we covered last year, such as YIIK and A.N.N.E., growing in popularity.
To keep in the spirit of the event, the oprainfall Retro Commercial Research Team–in other words, me–will show off trailers of games covered at PAX East 2015. A couple games, Code Name S.T.E.A.M. and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD in particular, have already been released, some are coming soon, and others are still a ways off.
And a special thank you to all the developers, publishers, industry reps, Internet personalities, and otherwise cool people I met during the show.
- Xenoblade Chronicles 3D (Monolith Soft/Monster Games)
- Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (Intelligent Systems)
- Puzzle & Dragons Z + Puzzle & Dragons: Super Mario Bros. Edition (GungHo Online Entertainment)
- Final Fantasy Type-0 HD (Square Enix/HexaDrive)
- Albert and Otto (Nikola Kostic) * – My Game of Show
- Beyond Eyes (tiger & squid)
- Sentris (Timbre Interactive)
- Nelly Cootalot: The Fowl Fleet (Alasdair Beckett-King/Application Systems)
- Catlateral Damage (Chris Chung)
- Ninja Pizza Girl (Disparity Games)
- Induction (Bryan Gale)
- The Hole Story (Girls Make Games)
- Twelve Minutes (Luis Antonio)
Here are the highlights from the past week.
REVIEWS & PREVIEWS
- Kirby and the Rainbow Curse | Will Whitehurst
- Auro: A Monster-Bumping Adventure | Louis Polite
- Atelier Shallie: Alchemists of the Dusk Sea | David Fernandes
- Bladestorm: Nightmare | Adam Reese
- Depths of Fear: Knossos | Michael Fontanini
- IMPRESSIONS: StarCrawlers Press Build | Josh Speer
- (18+) IMPRESSIONS: Menagerie Demo | Steve Baltimore
- Crowdfunding Spotlight: Unraveled: Tale of the Shipbreaker’s Daughter
- Top 10 Best Binding of Isaac: Rebirth Bosses
- Raindrops: Writer Phil N. Schipper
- Building Character: Mega Man X
- Buried Treasure: Einhander and PlayStation Underground
- Sailor Moon Crystal Acts 12, 13, & 14: Well, That Was Anticlimactic
- OPERATION MADNESS: Swords Tournament – Round 1
- Total Control Ep 26: Weekend Warriors (PODCAST)
- Legendary Axe: YOLO One Life Gaming (VIDEO)
- Games for Less than a Dollar on PSN Flash Sale
- New Footage of Banjo-Kazooie Game Shown off at SXSW
- Tales of Vesperia PS3 Fan Translation Now Complete
- Aksys Games Opens Teaser Site; Fans Hope for Zero Escape News
- New Bravely Second Trailer, Site Updates
- Super Smash Bros. 4 And Amiibo Selling Well
- Xenoblade Chronicles X: Fully Translated Battle Video
There are a couple things to point out. First, we have a new series called Raindrops, where you get to learn more about the oprainfall contributors as they answer a set of questions about themselves. There are two up so far: the first one is from Jacob and the second from Phil. Keep your eye out for others in the coming weeks.
The second thing is that we have a new poll going on. In the spirit of the season, it’s time for Operation Madness once again. This year’s tournament is for swords. Voting for Round 1 has begun so check it out and make your picks.
And speaking of our YouTube channel, I missed introducing it last week, but we have a new video series call Series Introduction, which talks about a game series that people may not be aware of in hopes of passing on some information. The first episode is on the Atelier series. Check it out and leave a comment letting us know what you think.
oprainfallPAX East 2015retro wrap-up