By Crystal Colwell / August 21st, 2013
MacGuffin’s Curse is a game that I cannot get off of my mind. Mainly because I just completed the game and am currently working on the review. It is a werewolf comedy puzzle adventure game that takes block puzzles to a new level. The game is available for PC, Mac, and iOS devices. For those of you who prefer using Steam, the game is available there as well.
Puzzle solving takes up the majority of gameplay and can cause a few outbursts of profanity, or at least it did for me. The game centers around Lucas, who stumbles into some trouble that leads to a howling situation. An amulet that he “finds” triggers a curse that causes him to transform into a wolf. A big hairy wolf, complete with a tail and all! From here, Lucas is forced to transform between human and wolf, putting his skills and cunning to the test as he attempts to break the curse. Each form gives him a certain set of advantages as well as disadvantages.
Meet Lucas MacGuffin – the shady character that you control.
He is a an ex-magician and current thief. He is also an adoring dad who will do anything he can to appease his landlord and pay the rent. His landlord is a wretch of a guy who constantly makes demands of him that put him into some sticky situations. Lucas handles his transformation from human to wolf with a sense of humor and a huge influx of physical power, and he helps other characters throughout the game as they uncover the truth of what is going on in their town. Don’t let those kind acts fool you though- he gets something that he needs out of every deal made with the other residents.
MacGuffin’s Curse Features, as listed on the official website:
- Switch between wolf and human forms to solve 150+ inventive and rewarding puzzle rooms.
- Combines the logical challenges of the classic top-down video games with the quick-witted dialogue and sidequests of a vintage point-and-click adventure.
- Thousands of lines of comedic dialogue and descriptions. You’ll want to examine each and every park bench!
- Challenge without frustration! Stuck on a room? P.I. Strump is on the line to help you along (between insults) with a multi-level hint system.
- Playable casually in tiny bursts, or as a sprawling full-length adventure.
- No shoddy ports! MacGuffin’s Curse was developed simultaneously for PC, Mac, iPhone and iPad.
- A rich, compelling world – explore the surreal nightlife and history of an ancient carnival city in high-tech lockdown!
- An insanely catchy soundtrack spanning spooky strings, acoustic gypsy power-rock and retro chiptunes.
- Unlockable Comics, Post-Game Challenges, Easter Eggs, Commentary and other bonuses to keep players coming back long after the credits have rolled!
- 90+ Sidequests
- Hours of Post-Game Content
- Bonus Comics
- Unlockable Chiptunes
- …and much, much more.
Can you keep up with what is going on and solve the puzzles? Could I? Find out soon when my review for MacGuffin’s Curse premieres! That is, if I haven’t gone insane with so much wolfy puzzle playing.