By Patrick Aguda / September 29th, 2021
Aniplex of America has announced that Sword Art Online the Movie -Progressive- Aria of a Starless Night will premiere in theaters and IMAX in the US and Canada on December 3, 2021. The movie will be available subbed and dubbed.
You can check out the latest English subbed trailer below.
The main cast is as follows:
- Yoshitsugu Matsuoka as Kirito
- Haruka Tomatsu as Asuna
- Inori Minase as Mito
The staff is as follows:
- Original Work & Story Concept: Reki Kawahara (Dengeki Bunko)
- Original Illustration / Character Design Concept: abec
- Director: Ayako Kono
- Action Director & Monster Design: Yasuyuki Kai
- Character Design & Chief Animation Director: Kento Toya
- Sub Character Design: Aya Akizuki, Tomomi Ishikawa, Keisuke Watanabe
- Prop Design: Hisashi Higashijima
- Art Directors: Yusa Ito
- Art Setting: Akihiro Hirasawa
- Color Setting: Naomi Nakano
- Director of Photography: Yuki Oshima
- CG Directors: Kengo Oda, Hiroshi Nakajima
- 2D Works: Yohei Miyahara, Kaori Seki
- Editing: Kiyoshi Hirose
- Music: Yuki Kaijura
- Sound Director: Yoshikazu Iwanami
- Sound Effects: Yasumasa Koyama
- Sound Production: sonilude
- Produced by: EGG FIRM, Straight Edge
- Animation Production: A-1 Pictures
- Production Committee: SAO-P Project
A synopsis for the movie is as follows:
This is a tale of the time before “Lightning Flash” and “The Black Swordsman” were known by those names…
The day that she happened to don the NerveGear, Asuna Yuuki was a third-year middle school student who’d never even touched an online game before. On November 6, 2022, the world’s first VRMMORPG, Sword Art Online, is officially launched. But the players, still euphoric over having logged in, suddenly find themselves trapped inside the game when the Game Master deprives them of any way to log out.
The Game Master then gives them this warning “This may be a game, but it’s not something you play.” If a player dies in-game, they die in the real world.
Hearing this, all of the players panic, and pandemonium reigns. One of those players is Asuna, but despite not yet knowing the rules of this world, she sets off to conquer the floating iron castle, Aincrad, whose peak is too high to be seen.As the days go by in this world where death is never very far away, she has a fateful encounter. And then, a parting…
Though she’s at the mercy of the reality before her eyes, Asuna fights on with all her might, until someone appears before her: the aloof swordsman, Kirito…
Sword Art Online the Movie -Progressive- Aria of a Starless Night premieres in the US and Canada on December 3, 2021. Tickets will go on sale November 5, 2021. You can visit the movie’s official website HERE.
SOURCE: Sword Art Online Official US Twitter
A-1 Picturesanimeanime filmAniplex USAAnnouncementrelease dateSword Art OnlineSword Art Online the Movie -Progressive- Aria of a Starless NightTrailer