By Leah McDonald / November 5th, 2020
Another entry into the Outbreak series is now available on Switch with Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles.
Paying homage to classic Resident Evil and Silent Hill titles, The Nightmare Chronicles is a single-player game featuring fixed camera angles, limited saves via consumable items, and panic-inducing encounters. And much like its RE predecessor, the game will feature a stately manor and nightmarish underground locales.
“I’m really proud of how Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles turned out,” says Dead Drop Studios founder Evan Wolbach. “The backgrounds, camera placement, and lighting alone add a very tangible feeling of dread to the game. In keeping with tradition, Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles also features a variety of game modes and an engrossing single-player campaign. For a solo developer like me, hitting all these targets was incredibly challenging – but I always had the end result in sight: a return to the glory days of the survivor horror genre.”
The Switch version of Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles carries over improvements and bug fixes made to the original Steam release, including:
- Massive rebalancing – making “Normal” difficulty slightly more manageable with buffed supplies, improved damage, and more (“Hard” and beyond are untouched and remain incredibly difficult).
- Superior enemy attack detection – giving the player more opportunities to dodge.
- Numerous fixes including geometry tweaking, enemy placement, and more.
- Significant performance and memory improvements.
- Dramatic reduction in load times.
Key features include:
- Fixed camera angles harken back to the early days of survival horror games.
- Dedicated Story Mode follows the player character, Lydia, as she becomes separated from her group.
- Limited inventory space, beautiful environments, and horrifying monsters!
- Fight through countless rooms in an action-packed Battle Mode – inspired by Resident Evil: Code Veronica.
- Search rooms, read logs, find keys, and solve puzzles to survive.
- Engage threats directly or run away to safety.
- Save games using (in-game) floppy disks!
- Choose from several firearms and melee weapons.
- Multiple difficulty settings – Easy, Normal, Biohazard, and a “one-hit-kill” Nightmare setting for the truly insane.
- No Internet connection required.
- Supports Switch Pro Controller, Joy-Cons in tabletop mode, and HD Rumble.
Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles is the second Outbreak title to appear on Nintendo’s console – following the recent release of Outbreak: Epidemic.
The game is currently available for $11.04 USD and will return to $12.99 USD on Nov. 12.
To see oprainfall’s opinion on another recently-released Outbreak title, check out Scott Ramage’s PS4 review of Outbreak: The New Nightmare here.
Dead Drop StudiosOutbreakOutbreak: The Nightmare ChroniclesSurvival Horror