By Leah McDonald / September 24th, 2020
Ten years after its release, NieR returns with NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… and NieR Re[in]carnation, showcased during the Tokyo Game Show.
Developed by Toylogic, NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… is a modern re-telling of its namesake, released originally in 2010 in Japan. While North America’s version of NIER was based on Japan’s NieR Gestalt and featured an older main protagonist looking after his daughter, Replicant ver.1.22474487139… will be the first time Western audiences get the chance to play as Brother Nier, who is tasked with looking after his younger sister Yonah in a post-apocalyptic world ravaged by a mysterious deadly disease. The game is the prequel to the critically-acclaimed NieR: Automata, developed by Platinum Games, which has sold more than 4.8 million copies worldwide since its 2017 release.
Renowned series composer Keiichi Okabe returns with a newly-recorded soundtrack by the game, which features completely updated visuals, locations, and combat. Character illustrator Akihiko Yoshida also returns, and has created new character illustrations, including the Japanese cover art for the game. All versions of the game will feature reversible covers.
A White Snow Edition collector’s box set is available for pre-order from the Square Enix Store for $159.99 USD, and includes:
- “Lunar Tear” Collector’s Box
- Steelbook Case – A metal case featuring stunning artwork by Illustrator KODA KAZUMA.
- Pin Badge Set – Grimoire Weiss, Grimoire Noir, and Grimoire Rubrum pins presented in a specialized display case. Exclusive to the White Snow Edition.
- Script Set – A set of seven books including the content of the spoken script of the game, exclusive to the White Snow Edition. Packaged in a special hard case, featuring unique cover art by character designer Akihiko Yoshida. Available in English only.
- Soundtrack CD Set – A two-disc collection – one disc featuring tracks from NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… specifically edited for this set, and a second disc featuring special arrangements, overseen by Keiichi Okabe, of select tracks that are exclusive to the White Snow Edition. The set is presented in a premium Grimoire Weiss-inspired package.
Pre-order bonuses are also available per platform:
- PlayStation 4 system – All editions will include an exclusive PlayStation 4 system dynamic theme and avatar set. Pre-orders will also include a digital copy of the mini soundtrack featuring a sampling of songs from the White Snow Edition soundtrack CDs.
- Xbox One – Pre-orders will also include a digital copy of the mini soundtrack featuring a sampling of songs from the White Snow Edition soundtrack CDs.
- Steam – All editions will include a special digital wallpaper collection. Pre-orders will also include a digital copy of the mini soundtrack featuring a sampling of songs from the White Snow Edition soundtrack CDs.
Square Enix also provided details on the upcoming mobile game NieR: Re[in]carnation, developed by Applibot for North America and Europe, in which players are tasked with repairing weapons. The game will feature a mix of 3D exploration and 2D story segments.
NieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139… will release on the PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Steam on April 22, 2021 in Japan and Asia, and on April 23, 2021 in North America and Europe.
ApplibotNieR ReplicantNieR Replicant ver.1.22474487139NieR: Re[in]carnationNieR:AutomataSquare EnixTGSTokyo Game ShowToylogic