By Diego Hernandez / September 16th, 2019
Hot off the heels of a vibrant and encouraging work, Ebi returns to deliver another must-read: Rituals in the Dark! This new adventure takes a darker approach to storytelling similar to a previous work. Furthermore, no better time to release than the month of October! While there is no exact date, we do have an amazing amount of information regarding the title. An all-ages yuri title with a not-so-all-ages atmosphere. In conversation with Ebi, she blesses this writer with synopsis and features for this upcoming tale.
What it’s about?
Six months ago, Aspen Draper’s elderly neighbour, Mrs Leigh, died of a heart attack.
Aspen was the last person to see Mrs Leigh alive, and she was the first person to find the old woman’s body.
After this unfortunate discovery, Aspen becomes something of a celebrity in her
dreary seaside home town, Scarborough. She’s bombarded with intrusive questions about
Mrs Leigh’s death at school, and everybody is insatiably curious about the incident.
No matter how Aspen tries, she’s unable to move on from the past… even as time begins to pass.
The winter months segue into the summer, but Mrs Leigh’s home remains unsold.
Eventually, her home is boarded up, and rumours begin to spread that it’s haunted by her restless ghost.
Then, during a sleepover with her friends, Aspen is made to confront her fears all over again.
Aspen’s best friend, Pippa, dares her to break into Mrs Leigh’s old home on a search for the elusive ghost,
and Aspen is too weak-willed and anxious to refuse.
Under the cover of the night, Aspen once more enters the home where her most unpleasant memories dwell…
But what she discovers inside the old woman’s home is beyond even her wildest imagination.
What details can you spare?
– An all-ages yuri story with an eerie atmosphere.
– Though the plot revolves around the death of an old woman, and the subsequent exploration of her house, it’s not really a horror story (there are no jumpscares, gore, or any ‘scary’ elements).
– It’s about 50,000 words long, kinetic, no choices.
– Takes place almost entirely at night, save for a scene near the end; was written as a challenge to myself to see if I could set one story during one time of the day.
– Was inspired largely by The Cure, their album ‘Disintegration’ in particular, which I listened to constantly while writing it.
– The soundtrack has been in a style similar to the cure’s more atmospheric songs, to heighten the mood.
– The artist is the same artist as Sweetest Monster, one of my more eerie stories.
If you’re still curious about what kind of writer Ebi is we have an interview piece with her! Furthermore, we actually review her work afterwards. Eternally grateful to Ebi for the information regarding the release. This writer encourages you to check out her catalog and see for yourself what she can do.
EbiEbi-himeevnLanguage of LoveRituals in the DarkSweetest Monstervisual novelVN