By Jenae R / March 16th, 2021
Nintendo announced a little while ago that Animal Crossing: New Horizons would be getting a free March 18th update to add compatibility with the Sanrio amiibo cards they’re releasing for the very first time in the West on March 26th, which in the US, will be sold exclusively at Target. But now it looks like they’ve announced some additional unrelated stuff today as well, that’s coming out along with the Sanrio update, in honor of the game’s first anniversary. If you haven’t seen it yet, you can check out the Sanrio crossover trailer down below. And below that you’ll find all of the info directly from Nintendo, about what’s going to be included in this update. They also showed off some screenshots of this content and listed even more details in a Twitter thread posted earlier this morning.
For the past year, the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game for the Nintendo Switch system has offered the ability to transform a deserted island brimming with possibility into your own personal paradise. You have our appreciation for all the creativity and ingenuity you’ve poured into your islands since the game’s launch.
In fact, in the game’s first year, players around the world have uploaded over 12 million Custom Designs to the Custom Design Portal. We hope you continue to enjoy creating and sharing your designs for many more seasons to come, especially since the update will bring 50 additional custom design slots to both the Normal and Pro Custom Design modes! In addition, the free update on March 18 will add the following features to the game:
- 1st Anniversary Cake – Nook Inc. made a 1st Anniversary Cake to commemorate the occasion. It will be sent to your in-game mailbox after the update is installed.
- Sanrio Sweetness – Add some Sanrio sweetness to your island. Starting March 26, the Animal Crossing Sanrio Collaboration Pack will be available for purchase at Target stores across the U.S. at a suggested retail price of $5.99. You’ll be able use these six vibrantly designed amiibo cards to invite cute and colorful Animal Crossing residents inspired by popular Sanrio characters to your island, including Rita, Chai and Toby. These amiibo cards let you exchange bells for special Sanrio-themed furniture and fashion items in-game, too. You can even invite these characters to Harv’s Island for a fun photo session in Photopia.
- Custom Design Pro Editor + – The Custom Design app on your NookPhone is getting an upgrade!* Use your Nook Miles at the Nook Stop in Resident Services to unlock the feature. It’ll provide a more robust set of features, allowing for the customization of umbrellas, small flags, uchiwa and photo stands. And with a new expansion of 50 slots added to both the Normal Custom Design mode and Pro Custom Design mode, you can truly let your imagination run wild!
- Custom Design Portal – You can now add the Custom Design Portal found in the Able Sisters store directly to your in-game NookPhone app. You’ll be able to use it any time inspiration strikes.**
- Seasonal Items – Spring is in the air, and with the changing of the seasons comes a range of new seasonal items! Just in time for April Fool’s Day, a variety of colors of whoopee cushions can be ordered between March 26 and April 1 from the in-game Nook Shopping service. For something a little more elegant, you can prep for prom season with themed fashion items at the Able Sisters shop from April 1 to April 30. You can also order prom-themed items from Nook Shopping during this period, such as a prom night wall, prom night flooring and a prom stash. Never miss a chance to dance!* To access this upgrade, players must have Pro Design first.** Nintendo Switch Online membership (sold separately) and Nintendo Account required for online features. Not available in all countries. Internet access required for online features. Terms apply. nintendo.com/switch-online
For more information about Animal Crossing: New Horizons, feel free to visit the game’s official website.
Animal CrossingAnimal Crossing: New HorizonsNintendonintendo switchSanrio