The Kickstarter campaign for Shantae: Half-Genie Hero (http://www NULL.kickstarter NULL.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero/) has ended with $776,084 (USD) raised through the crowdfunding website. Add in $35,878 from PayPal pledges, and WayForward has a total of $811,962 for Shantae’s first HD outing. And while Kickstarter is done, you can still donate through PayPal (http://www NULL.wayforward NULL.com/shantae-half-genie-hero) to help the game become even greater.
Here’s a quick recap of what will now be in the game:
- First things first—those who backed the project at or above the pre-order level ($12 for early adopters, $15 for everyone else) will get special backer-exclusive content. These will include a blue outfit for Shantae, Risky Boots’ original color scheme, and the Drifter Blade from fellow crowdfunded game Hyper Light Drifter (http://www NULL.kickstarter NULL.com/projects/1661802484/hyper-light-drifter). (Also of note—Risky Boots will make a cameo appearance in Hyper Light Drifter.) Unless I’m mistaken, you will still be able to obtain this content if you donate through PayPal after the campaign.
- The game is coming to all HD-capable systems. Initially, it was just home consoles and Windows PCs (via Steam). However, the PS Vita and Vita TV (if it reaches the West) were added partway through the campaign without any need for a stretch goal. However, since they wanted to make the game HD-exclusive (or at the very least exclusive to HD-capable systems), this means the 3DS will miss out on this game. However, 3DS owners do get an exclusive in Shantae and the Pirate’s Curse. So, in a way, it all evens out.
- Two bonus chapters have been added to the game. First is “Sequins of Unfortunate Events.” In this chapter, Shantae must uncover who is stealing carpets ahead of Cape Crustacean’s annual Magic Carpet Races. The second is “Fire and Forget.” In this chapter, the Mayor replaces Shantae with a new Guardian Genie. However, when amnesia begins to befall the citizens of Scuttle Town, Shantae sets off to discover the true origins of her rival.
- Three costumes were added for Shantae: a Beach Day costume, a Ninja costume, and a Patricia Wagon costume. The latter comes from another of WayForward’s well-received platformers, Mighty Switch Force!. Each costume will come with rebalanced stats and new special moves.
- Risky Boots, Shantae’s long-time arch-nemesis, will have her own playable campaign in the game. Raid, pillage, and plunder as you search for a way into the Genie Realm in her quest for ultimate power.
- Inti Creates, the developer behind Mega Man 9 and the Mega Man Zero series, will be assisting with the project.
PayPal donations (http://www NULL.wayforward NULL.com/shantae-half-genie-hero) will continue to stay open for awhile. Donations will go toward the five remaining stretch goals, which include two bonus chapters ($1 million and $1.2 million), Hero modes where you play as Rollytops, Bolo, or Sky ($900,000), full voice acting ($1.1 million), and animated cutscenes ($1.3 million).
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero is expected to release in the latter half of next year.