By Walter P / August 24th, 2021
It has been announced that the roguelike RPG Maritime Calling will be coming to Steam. The game puts you into the role of a captain where you must manage your crew and ship in addition to facing the dangers out at see. You can take a look at the game’s press release below.
The life of a captain is one filled with glorious tales of facing off against the dragons of the sea, of rescuing long lost royalty, and of course, finding troves of treasure. But these high-seas tales don’t come close to capturing the true struggles and triumphs that a real captain must face on the open ocean. That’s why Tiamat Games is going overboard with excitement to share a new gameplay trailer for its nautical roguelike RPG Maritime Calling. The latest trailer puts players squarely into the captain’s seat and shines a light on the various systems that make Maritime Calling so special.
In Maritime Calling, players are tasked with over-sea-ing all of the facets of ship life while also keeping an eye out for the dangers of the open waters. From the simple act of raising the anchors and lifting the sails to more advanced maneuvers like fighting off enemy ships and changing course altogether, a captain’s true prowess lies in their ability to get the most out of their crew and themselves. Their lives are a pendulum constantly swinging between uncapped maritime merriment and harrowing life-or-death decision making; it’s a role that only the most resilient and clever individuals can hope to fill.
Inspired by games like FTL: Faster Than Light, Maritime Calling puts players in command of a pre-colonial sailing ship with a crew eager to see what’s beyond the horizon. As captain, you’ll manage everything from stem to stern as you oversee the wellbeing of your crew, survive deadly oceanic hazards, and explore uncharted lands while a procedurally generated map keeps every playthrough fresh and exciting!
Key Features of Maritime Calling:
- Take the Helm, Captain: Steering a ship back in the day was a smidge more involved than it is compared to motorboats of today. It’s the player’s job to prep the sails, measure for wind direction, and steer clear of any rocky crags sticking out of the water.
- It’s a Sailor’s Life For Me: Set day-to-day shifts for the crew, order them to plug any leaky holes in the hull, resolve quarrels among them, and make sure everyone gets their fair share of provisions (and booty!) Don’t feel bad about bossing everyone around, either — it’s the captain’s job after all!
- Master and Roleplayer: An effective captain will assign the right sailor to their most well-suited jobs. As each crew member gains experience through the tasks they’re assigned, they gain levels to unlock specializations that come with special bonuses!
- The World is An Oyster, so Pry it Open: Undiscovered countries are just waiting for players to explore them and uncover their riches!
- An Ever-Changing World: The map shifts with each playthrough thanks to the procedural map and terrain creation engine. There could be a beautiful coral reef in a region on one playthrough, and the next, a violent tropical storm!
Maritime Calling will be available for PC via Steam Early Access on September 28, 2021.
SOURCE: Press Release
Early AccessMaritime CallingRoguelikeRPGSteam