By Leah McDonald / July 30th, 2019
FromSoftware and Devolver Digital take mech-loving gamers on a retrospective of “the most mindblowing mech game you’ve never played” in the leadup to the release of Metal Wolf Chaos XD.
“In 2004, FromSoftware saw an opportunity to break into Western markets and challenge the idea that mech games didn’t appeal to players in the United States and Europe,” says the narrator in Metal Wolf Chaos XD – Retrospective. “Their answer was Metal Wolf Chaos.”
From the developer:
The country is in peril as President Michael Wilson defends the nation against a full-scale rebellion lead by Vice-President Richard Hawk and the mechanized legions he commands. As the 47th President of the United States, it is your sworn duty to take your country back by any means necessary and end this unjust coup d’etat! Battle in your advanced mech – armed to the teeth – across iconic American landscapes including the Brooklyn Bridge, the Grand Canyon, and the front steps of the White House.
“Despite the attentions of FromSoftware, and their great regret, the game was only ever released in Japan,” the narrator continues.
Originally released in December 2004, Metal Wolf Chaos appeared exclusively on the original Xbox and only in Japan. What was once a difficult-to-find game outside Japan, the new Metal Wolf Chaos XD will launch on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and PC. Devolver Digital and FromSoftware have partnered together with developer General Arcade to modernize Metal Wolf Chaos with updates to the game including upgraded visual fidelity, refined controls and gameplay, a new save system, and 4K + 16:9 support for modern displays.
“What was once a game shrouded in regret, is now one of the most anticipated reissues of this generation,” claims the Retrospective video.
- All-America Mech Action
- Unleash the full power of the legendary Metal Wolf battle mech using every last bit of firepower at your disposal and put a stop to this traitorous rebellion!
- Modernized and Remastered
- Meticulously updated visuals with improvements to resolution, select textures, and visuals effects that are brought to life in a new widescreen format with 1080p and 4K support, where applicable.
- Gameplay improvements, a new save system, and optimization deliver the definitive Metal Wolf Chaos experience.
- Dynamic Combat with an Upgradeable Mech
- A carefully planned strategy will lead you to victory, and full-on destruction will lead to pure exhilaration. Swap out weapons on the fly for a tactical advantage. Develop and upgrade your weapons to carry an arsenal of over 100 different combinations into battle.
Metal Wolf Chaos XD will release Aug. 6, 2019, for $24.99 USD. Pre-orders will receive a special skin for their system of choice.
Devolver DigitalFromSoftwaregeneral arcadeMetal Wolf Chaosmetal wolf chaos xd