By Josh Speer / July 19th, 2018
Last week’s Nintendo Download was a bit underwhelming, but this one makes up for that with a double dose of my favorite robot. Additionally, there’s lots of new digital games, two massive sales, My Nintendo promotions and a bit more besides. So let’s get started and see what’s worth playing this week!
I love Mega Man, that’s a given at this point. So while I am somewhat excited about the upcoming releases of Mega Man X Legacy Collection and X Legacy Collection 2, I’m also probably not buying both of them. Not because I’m not a fan, but rather because I have a limit for how many times I can buy the same game over and over. It probably doesn’t help that I picked up the original X Collection back on Gamecube. While I am a little less enthusiastic about these releases, I do recommend them to fans who don’t already own both of them. I might still have to get X Legacy Collection 2 though. Besides that, there is a new fantastically strange game that should have been mentioned last week, but for some reason Nintendo didn’t cover it in their list of games and it was also lacking an eShop page. I also didn’t catch its absence, so shame on me as well. As penance, I’ll tell you to all try out the insane Bomb Chicken for Nintendo Switch. It’s pixelated beauty and puzzle solving mania in one tight package. And if that’s not enough weird for you this week, you can also try out the demo for WarioWare Gold, hitting the 3DS August 3rd. I’m highly anticipating the latest and hopefully greatest WarioWare title, but those on the fence can see what’s in store for free! Now let’s continue with a few events.
- The Second Nintendo Labo Creators Contest: Enter for a chance to win a specially designed, collectible cardboard-inspired Nintendo Switch system, Nintendo Labo Creators jackets and more. The contest runs July 19 at 11 a.m. PT through Aug. 20 at 10:59 a.m. PT.
- Octopath Traveler My Nintendo Rewards: To celebrate the launch of the Octopath Traveler game, My Nintendo is offering eight different box art covers (one for each of the main characters) for the case of your Octopath Traveler game (sold separately). Redeem your points and choose your character for your box art cover! Plus, we’re also offering downloadable wallpapers for your PC or smart phone.
- Pixel Toads Lead to Platinum Points: Captain Toad is starring in his own puzzling quest in the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker game for the Nintendo Switch system and the Nintendo 3DS family of systems. My Nintendo members can join the adventure with a special “hide-and-seek” mission to earn My Nintendo points. Here’s the mission: Log in to My Nintendo, then find all four Pixel Toads hidden on the official game website and earn 100 Platinum Points – that’s 25 Platinum Points for each Pixel Toad you find. Good luck!
- Celebrate the One-Year Anniversary of Splatoon 2 with a Splatfest and My Nintendo: July 21 marks the first anniversary of the Splatoon 2 game, and we’re celebrating with a global Splatfest! Which sea creature is your favorite, Squid or Octopus? This hotly contested Splatfest will occur from 9 p.m. PT on July 20 until 9 p.m. PT on July 21. To help celebrate, My Nintendo is offering Inkling and Octoling printable posters, as well as downloadable wallpaper. Redeem your points for these rewards today.
On the sales front, there is a special one this week, as well as the usual Game Guide discounts. Capcom is having a Summer Sale on a bunch of their games, lasting from today until July 25th (fittingly a day after both X Collections release). Keep in mind all of these sales are for 3DS and Wii U Capcom titles, so if you only have a Switch, you’re out of luck. The following are the games on sale –
- Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney is discounted to $9.99
- DuckTales: Remastered is discounted to $3.74
- Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara is discounted to $3.74
- Mega Man Legacy Collection is discounted to $5.99
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is discounted to $7.99 for Wii U and $5.99 for 3DS
- Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate is discounted to $8.99
- Monster Hunter Generations is discounted to $15.99
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Dual Destinies is discounted to $8.99
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney – Spirit of Justice is discounted to $11.99
- Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trilogy is discounted to $11.99
- Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D is discounted to $4.99
- Resident Evil Revelations is discounted to $9.99 for Wii U and $7.99 for 3DS
- Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition is discounted to $4.99
But that’s not all the sales! The following are worth checking out as well. 1979 Revolution: Black Friday (Switch) is discounted to $9.59; State of Anarchy: Master of Mayhem (Switch) is down to $6.39; the colorful INK (Switch) is very affordable at $4.49; the challenging Lost Sea (Switch) is worth a look at $7.99; Atomine (Switch) is only $6.99; the delightful Space Dave (Switch) is well worth getting for only $4.99; the frenetic Enter the Gungeon (Switch) is half off for $7.49; Yono and the Celestial Elephants (Switch) might finally be worth trying for $11.99; the deviously hard Cursed Castilla (3DS) is for hardcore fans only, even for $8.99; Fairune 2 (3DS) should be fun for $5.59; and lastly, for a couple of absolute steals, check out 3Souls (Wii U) and Frederick: Resurrection of Music (Wii U) for only $0.97 and $0.59, respectively. To see the rest of the sales, just click here.
Finally, let’s close out with what is often my favorite part of the download, the new digital games! There’s only one that launches next week, a fascinating platformer called Semblance. The premise is you can deform and reshape your environment. The game also looks utterly unique and beautiful, so be sure to check it out when it launches July 24th. Everything else is out this week.
For retro fun, look no further than ACA NEOGEO League Bowling and Arcade Archives City Connection. For a game with some rhythm, check out Beat Rush. If you love weird, then you’ll be covered with Chicken Assassin: Reloaded, Hungry Shark World and Pool Panic. For some free spacefaring, check out GALAK-Z: Variant S. If you love Metroidvanias, you need to check out Ghost 1.0. For some card games, you might enjoy Frost. For frantic multiplayer mayhem, NoReload Heroes looks promising. If you love experimental games, there’s Lost Phones Stories. And finally, for a couple very different looking adventures, check out Tanzia and Heroki.
All in all, a very good week for the Nintendo Download! It’s hard to believe there was once a time I worried there wouldn’t be enough games on my Switch to keep me busy. Be sure to tune in to oprainfall next week for another installment of the Nintendo Download.
7/19/18Beat RushBomb ChickenCapcom Summer SaleChicken Assassin: ReloadedCity ConnectionFrostGALAK-Z: Variant SGhost 1.0HerokiHungry Shark WorldLeague BowlingLost Phone StoriesMega Man X Legacy CollectionMega Man X Legacy Collection 2Nintendo DownloadNintendo LaboNoReload HeroesOctopath TraveleroprainfallPool PanicSemblanceSplatoon 2 splatfestTanziaWarioWare Gold