By William Haderlie / June 21st, 2016
Who is that above, that doesn’t look like a knight with his trusty shovel? That, ladies and gents, is Specter Knight. He is coming soon to a Shovel Knight near you. There was some major news out of Yacht Club Games today. The first of which is many new details on the upcoming Specter Knight campaign. Along with that news, we get a surprise update on the King Knight campaign as well. Yacht Club is killing it with this release. I’m going to try to avoid the low hanging fruit of comparing it to another crowd funded game that went live very recently. Check out what the developers say about their new content:
- We’re working on two new campaigns: Specter Knight and King Knight.
- Campaigns will not be releasing at the same time. Specter Knight will be released first!
- No estimated release date for any Update quite yet.
- Similar to our last update, we’ll probably go overboard too. Hey! Maybe that’s why we’re called Yacht Club Games!
- New campaigns will come with new Feats and Challenges for the new campaign character!
- We’re also working on two new modes: Body Swap and Battle Mode!
- Just like Plague of Shadows releasing with Challenge Mode, we’re planning to release one of these new modes alongside each campaign.
- Battle Mode is being designed as a single screen, multiple controller, multiplayer mode and is currently not planned to arrive on handheld versions of the game. We’ll be sure to announce if there are any changes on that front.
- Much like Plague of Shadows, all of the announced upcoming Shovel Knight content will be free on ALL platforms! For disc/cart and digital versions!
Also check out the glorious new gifs showing the new (anti)hero in action. One of the most interesting additions is that he makes up for his lack of jumping power by having a wall climb. Not only is he a knight and a reaper, but he’s also a ninja. Quite the talented guy.
The other bit of great news out of Yacht Club Games is a limited physical run of Shovel Knight on PS Vita. This is very exciting news for we citizens of Vita Island, especially if those memory cards are full to capacity of digital titles. Not only that, but there is a nice list of included features:
Ship Date: Early October
- Includes a lovingly crafted, full color, 42 page instruction manual!
- Game version 2.0 just like the original 2015 retail release. Complete with the Plague of Shadows campaign, Challenge Mode, and a very special guest: Kratos from God of War!
- This version will receive free upcoming updates just like the digital PS Vita version. Including Specter Knight’s campaign, King Knight’s campaign, and Body Swap Mode.
- Shares the same trophy/game data as the digital PS Vita release.
- Transfer your save file from other Sony platforms using the in-game Cross-Save menu!
- Region-free so you can enjoy Shovel Knight no matter where you are!
A big thank you to Vita and Shovel Knight fans everywhere for letting us know this is something you wanted to see happen! And, of course, for sticking with us while we figured out how to make it happen!
We’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this game here at Operation Rainfall, it’s definitely a popular title with our staff. And for good reason.
Nintendo 3DSNintendo Wii UPCPS VitaPS3PS4Shovel KnightSpecter KnightXbox 360Xbox OneYacht Club Games