By Eric Chetkauskas / July 5th, 2015
A couple months ago, I did a Retro Wrap-Up centered around Nintendo and I noticed that we seem to have a lot of Nintendo games and systems for this feature. It shouldn’t be too surprising for regular readers of the site, as it’s not really a secret that we like Nintendo around here. Personally, I was practically raised on Nintendo. Growing up, I had an NES, SNES and a Game Boy (there was also an Atari 2600, but that’s not relevant here). What I didn’t have, was a system from the other big console maker of the time, SEGA.
So, I thought that it would be a good idea for the oprainfall Retro Commercial Research Team–in other words, me–to break out of my comfort zone and dedicate this week to one of SEGA’s most successful systems, the SEGA Genesis.
Aside from bringing us classic retro game series such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Phantasy Star, Streets of Rage, and the Shining games, the Genesis had two major hardware add-ons which updated its technical capabilities: the SEGA CD and the SEGA 32X. Today, SEGA itself may have fallen off the console wagon, but the ones they did make live on in the hearts of their dedicated fans.
Below you can find some classic TV moments promoting the SEGA Genesis. Enjoy!
Here are the highlights from the past week.
- Lifeline | Eric Chetkauskas
- Luminosity | Joe Sigadel
- Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3: V Generation | Steve Baltimore
- Chroma Squad | Tyler Lubben
- The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III | Phil Schipper
- OPINION: Nobody “Wins” E3 Except Us
- ROUNDTABLE: On Metroid Prime: Federation Force
- Visual Novels, Otome, and Games: An Interview with Aksys Games
- Interview: Senran Kagura Producer Kenichiro Takaki; More Than Life and Hometown
- Crowdfunding Spotlight: RED ASH: The Indelible Legend
- Total Control Ep 38: Becoming an E3 Zombie (PODCAST)
- RUMOR: Original SNES PlayStation Discovered
- Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth is Heading West
- Dragon Quest Series Creator Spills Localization News
- Atlus Games on Sale on PlayStation Network
- Tales of Zestiria PS4 Collector’s Edition Confirmed For North America
- Iwata Explains Stance on Digital Discounts
- A New Round of Valkyrie Drive: Bhikkhuni Screens
- Nintendo Says it Will Not Abandon Wii U/3DS at NX Launch
- Tales of Symphonia Coming To Steam
- RUMOR: The Nintendo NX Might Launch on July 2016
- Upcoming Legend of Zelda Manga Announced
Also, you can check out Operation Recap on our YouTube channel for an alternate take on this week’s news.
And, as always, if you have any ideas or suggestions for retro commercials, let us know either through Facebook, Twitter, or just leave a good old-fashioned comment below.