By Crystal Colwell / March 1st, 2015
CrossCode is a 16 bit 2D action RPG from Radical Fish Games. This title was already greenlit on Steam, and now has an IndieGogo campaign. The game follows Lea, who can’t speak and has forgotten her past. CrossCode combines the action/adventure and RPG genre, offering a variety of puzzles and a fast paced combat system.
From Press Site:
CrossCode is a retro-inspired 2D Action RPG set in the distant future. You follow a player called Lea as she logs into CrossWorlds – a fictional MMO of the far future. Two things are strange about Lea: First, she can’t speak (literally mute – not just a silent heroine). And second, she doesn’t remember a thing about her past. Despite all of this, Lea starts exploring CrossWorlds, meets other players and overcomes a multitude of challenges all along the official track of the game. That is, until the past catches up with her. CrossCode combines features of the Action-Adventure and RPG genre, delivering both, a great variety of puzzles and an engaging, fast-paced combat system with plenty of options for character growth.
The idea for CrossCode is about 8-9 years old and started with an early prototype build made with RPG-Maker. At that time, it was only supposed to be a simple puzzle game with ricocheting balls, similar to Yoshi’s Island. However, since we are big fans of the Action-Adventure and RPG Genre, the game evolved and became much more ambitious. At the end of the year 2011, we started development the current HTML5-version, based on impact.js. We developed not only the game but also heavily customized the engine (about 95% of the source code rewritten) to better match our needs. At the end of 2012 we released the first TechDemo (shortly followed by the TechDemo++). On Nov 30, 2014, we released the first Demo with a higher focus on game content. You can play the demo in your browser or download the game for windows at: http://www.cross-code.com
- 16-bit, SNES-style 2D graphics with detailed animations
- A soundtrack inspired by old SNES and Playstation JRPGs
- A unique ball throwing mechanic with charging functionality and ricocheting balls, used for combat and puzzles
- A fast-paced combat system featuring close and ranged attacks, guarding, dashing and great variety of special attacks.
- A complete RPG system with leveling, equipment, consumable items and skill trees
- A detailed movement system with auto-jumping and precise collision