By David Fernandes / September 25th, 2014
NATIONAL TOURNAMENT SERIES CELEBRATING SUPER SMASH BROS. FOR NINTENDO 3DS LAUNCH KICKS OFF OCT. 4
Sept. 25, 2014
Fans that have what it takes to compete with the best Super Smash Bros. players in the country are about to get a chance to win a trip to New York to show off their skills. On Saturday, Oct. 4, a day after the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS game launches in stores and in the Nintendo eShop on Nintendo 3DS, 15 GameStop stores around the country (as well as the Nintendo World store in New York) will host local tournaments for the newly launched all-star fighting game featuring three rounds of four-player battles.
Participants for the 64-player local tournaments on Oct. 4 are selected on a first-come, first-served basis with no pre-registration required. Participants may bring their own Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 2DS systems and/or Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS games to the tournaments, but are not required to do so.
The winners of each local tournament will win a trip to New York to participate in the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament at Nintendo World on Oct. 11, which will be broadcast live on Nintendo’s channels on Twitch and YouTube starting at 6 p.m. ET. During the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament, character customization will play an important role in the action, allowing the top 16 players to engage in an all-out, no-holds-barred battle showcasing all the game has to offer.
The winner of the final tournament will not only bask in the glory of victory, but also win a trophy and champion’s robe. Additional details on how fans can attend the event at Nintendo World will be announced in the future. Nintendo World will also be giving fans an opportunity to purchase Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS before its nationwide launch. Starting at 8 p.m. ET on Oct. 2, Nintendo World will host a smashing fan gathering, allowing attendees to be among the first to purchase Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS.
Each local tournament will begin at 11 a.m. local time on Oct. 4. The participating locations and starting times for each local tournament are as follows:
- San Jose, California – Winfield Shopping Center
- Anaheim, California – Anaheim Town Center
- Denver, Colorado – S. Colorado Blvd. Gamestop (c/o Barnes & Noble)
- Chicago, Illinois – The Brickyard Shopping Center
- Dedham, Massachusetts – Dedham Mall
- Ellicott City, Maryland – St. John’s Plaza
- Bonnie Doone, North Carolina – SWM Skibo Shopping Center
- New York City, New York – 32 E. 14th Street
- Bellevue, Washington – Bellevue Square
- Davie, Florida – Tower Shops
- Brandon, Florida – Lake Brandon Shoppes
- Orlando, Florida – SWM Sand Lake Corner
- Chamblee, Georgia – Chamblee Village
- Houston, Texas – Holcombe Blvd. Gamestop (c/o Barnes & Noble)
- Plano, Texas – Preston Road Gamestop (c/o Barnes & Noble)
- Nintendo World in Rockefeller Plaza, New York City
On Sept. 27, to give fans time to practice for the main event, 100 GameStop locations around the country (including the 15 listed above) will offer visitors the opportunity to enjoy the same demo version of the game that is currently available in the Nintendo eShop.
Additional terms and conditions apply to the Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS National Open Tournament series. For full rules and details, visit http://smashbros.nintendo.com/rules/.
For more information about Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS, visit http://www.smashbros.com/us/.
Super Smash Bros for 3DS and Wii U are available for pre-order on Amazon:
NintendoSuper Smash Bros. (3DS)