By Jeff Neuenschwander / February 20th, 2013
Speculation over Sony’s next home console has been going on for years. Today, the speculation is finally over as Sony Computer Entertainment revealed its newest console. So get your wallets ready for this holiday season as that is when they will be releasing the PlayStation 4.
PlayStation 4 Specs:
- Main Processor
Single-chip custom processor
CPU : x86-64 AMD “Jaguar”, 8 cores
GPU : 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD next-generation Radeon based graphics engine
GDDR5 8GB unified memory
- Hard Disk Drive
- Optical Drive (read only)
Super-Speed USB (USB 3.0) 、AUX
Communication Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)
IEEE 802.11 b/g/n
Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
- AV output
Digital Output (optical)
DualShock 4 Controller:
- Touchpad between the D-Pad and shape buttons.
- The triggers are fixed
- Share button for social interactions
- Headphone jack
- Designed with a stereo camera to track the 3D position of the controller
A number of games were revealed for the system, including a number of third party games and games that have released/will release on other consoles.
|Top, from left to right: Deep Down and The Witness. Bottom: Infamous: Second Son and Destiny.|
- Killzone: Shadow Fall
- Infamous: Second Son
- The Witness
- Deep Down (Working Title) from Capcom
- WatchDogs from Ubisoft
- Diablo 3 from Blizzard
- Destiny from Activision – there will be exclusive PS4 content
The Sony promise:
Sony has laid out a five point promise for the upcoming PS4:
- Simple – Making development simple for the companies and easier to access for the player.
- Immediate – Cutting downtime for the player in order to get back to playing. One aspect is being able to start playing games that you are still downloading.
- Social – Being able to share videos and pictures with your friends on Facebook.
- Integrated – Being able to play any game on any Sony device wherever you can.
- Personalized – Your PS4 will track what you play and buy and suggest things, and prepare demos, for games before you even look for them.
- Video Unlimited
- Music Unlimited
- …and many more.
Media Molecule showed off some very interesting new concepts that will be utilized by the Move controller. They announced that the features that they are currently working on will be great fun to create just about anything, and will be easily used by novices and adept people alike.
Integration of the Gaikai streaming service, which Sony had purchased last year. With it, you will be able to stream games, as well as save games, to this new cloud based service. This will eventually lead into the notion the Sony has “Everything Everywhere” which means that you will one day be able to use any digital Sony content on any of your Sony devices. The PlayStation 4 will not be backwards compatible but, with Sony’s Everything Everywhere plan, you will some day have access to your digital media on the PS4.
Speaking of streaming capabilities, you will have the ability to capture and share your video game footage in real time on Ustream.
Additional features that Sony touched on included things like remote play, seamless transition between game playing and entering the store and many others. Remote play capabilities will be built into the architecture of the PlayStation 4.
So there you have it. The PlayStation 4 is unveiled. What are your thoughts on? Are you excited? Were you not impressed? Leave a comment below.
Note: This article will be updated periodically as more information is made available. Special thanks to manager Crystal Baltimore for helping with this article.
Andrew HouseGaikaiOrbisPlayStation 4PS4SCESony